1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Koren Robinson. Moron.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Aug 16, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vikings' Robinson faces charges
    The wide receiver was arrested after a late-night police chase and faces six charges, including two counts of DWI. His status with the team is unclear, but he probably faces at least a one-year suspension from the NFL.

ST. PETER, Minn. - As Koren Robinson left the Nicollet Country District Court this afternoon and headed for a waiting car, a couple of people in an adjoining parking lot yelled, "Go Vikings!"

Robinson smiled and pointed at them, then stepped into the back seat and was whisked away.

The scene was a stark contrast to one Tuesday night, when the Vikings wide receiver was arrested after a high speed chase while on his way to the team's training camp in Mankato.

Robinson was charged with one felony count of fleeing in a motor vehicle, two counts of DWI and three other misdemeanors this afternoon in Nicollet County District Court. He was arrested Tuesday night in Mankato after a chase at speeds over 100 mph, police said.

Robinson had a 0.11 percent blood alcohol level at the scene of the arrest and later registered a blood alcohol level of 0.09 percent at 12:18 a.m. today, according to St. Peter police.

In Minnesota the legal definition of drunkenness in drunken-driving cases is a blood alcohol content of 0.08 percent or more.

Robinson also is facing misdemeanor charges of reckless driving, careless driving and driving after suspension.

At a 15-minute hearing this afternoon before Judge Allison L. Krehbiel, Robinson wore an orange jumpsuit and ankle shackles.

His bail was set at $50,000 and his pre-trial hearing was set for 9 a.m. on Oct. 19. No Vikings' team representatives came to court.

Robinson left the courthouse with his wife, Joy, and declined to comment.

But his attorney, Joe Tamburino, told reporters that Robinson's status with the Vikings is unclear.

"We don't have any information on that, but Mr. Robinson anticipates getting back with his team as soon as possible," Tamburino said.

Robinson, 26, signed with the Vikings as a free agent last September after being released by Seattle in June following well-documented alcohol problems he had during his four seasons with the Seahawks. Seattle decided to part ways with Robinson after his arrest for drunken driving in May 2005.

In 2004, Robinson had been suspended for four games after violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. Seattle added on two more games for missing team meetings. The league's action meant Robinson's next positive test would lead to a one-year suspension.

Before joining the Vikings as a free agent last September, Robinson had gone through an alcohol treatment program. He had no off-the-field problems with the Vikings and made the NFC Pro Bowl team as a kick returner. Robinson also caught 22 passes for 347 yards and a touchdown.

A free agent, he was rewarded in March with a three-year contract that includes $5.5 million in guaranteed bonuses.

At a news conference late this morning, Vikings head coach Brad Childress said, "Obviously we had an incident last night that was unfortunate.

"I couldn't be more disappointed than for him, than this football team and for this community than to have this happen.

"One of the mandates from the Wilf family is that this ship is run right. I'm trying to create a culture of accountability. You can't be driving when you've been drinking.

"I have sketchy details about [what happened]. I'm disappointed but with the same idea that we need to move on."

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

According to a St. Peter Police report officers clocked a blue, 2003 BMW 760Li sedan traveling south at 104 miles per hour in a 55-mph zone on Hwy. 169.

Police officers gave chase but were unable to keep up with the car and radioed ahead to Mankato police for help, the report said.

Mankato police, Blue Earth County Sheriff's deputies, and North Mankato police eventually got the car to stop in Mankato, which is about 13 miles from St. Peter.

Robinson was arrested without incident and his car was towed away.

Childress said this morning, "When you have 24 hours off it's hard to [keep track of everyone]. Somebody's going to step over the line. I have no tolerance for that. And these guys understand that in no uncertain terms.

"He's going to be subject to the laws of this state and whatever the NFL deems fit. I think it'll all play itself out.

"I thought he was in a good place when he came to training camp. But I guess what you realize, if this is in fact true, is that what a demon it must be. I saw no indications -- he was having a great training camp -- but obviously it was too strong an influence.

"There's not a rush to replace [him] or anything like that.

"We need to let the legal system run its course and the NFL run its course. I need to get all the facts. I don't know why we'd want to knee-jerk."

Childress said that if he could talk to Robinson, "I'd tell him how disappointed -- you know what? He would know that. I'm sorry for him and his family. I'm sorry for this football team. And I'm sorry for this community.

"People need second chances. I'm not going to judge him or this thing until I have all the pieces that I can have.

"We talk about accountability. Accountable to the team. Accountable to each other. It's pretty straight-forward.

"You have to deal with it and move on. It's no different than somebody being injured. If he's ruled out, he's ruled out. We'll deal with it and move on."

Last month, the Vikings' No. 1 receiver denied website allegations that he'd had a sobriety relapse and said he was not in a rehab facility in South Carolina. Instead, he said he was taking "prevention classes."

Staff writers Paul Walsh, Kevin Seifert and Troy Melhus contributed to this report.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

In related matters, Saban said a few days ago that Culpepper got his sea legs in the team's first exhibition game.

That opens the door to all sorts of Sex Boat jokes.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Coupled with Greenway's knee injury, it's a typical day for Vikes fans...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can understand the desire to get out of St. Peter as quick as possible, but this was way over the top...

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Cripe, he's embarrassing. Anyone who makes Chuck Amato look like the good guy scares me. :eek:

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I want him gone! [/pissed off looser Vikings fangirl]

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This isn't the first offense for him, Rosie. (Figured you probably knew, but just in case you didn't).

He was worth another chance, but now that he's backslid - again - I don't see how the Vikings can keep him. If Wilf is serious about doing things right, keeping K-Rob is not an option.

9. Anyone hear the blowjob Joe Theismann gave Koren during Monday night's game? He took up some of the work for Mike Patrick, too. It was that bad.

10. North61

North61 Member

Just last Friday I was saying-

You know, the Vikings haven't done anything stupid yet this year. I bet something happens next week!

;D

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I did know, Sam. And you are right, he was worth another chance. But not now. Sometimes the second chances have to come to a close.

It might sound stupid in today's overhyped NFL world, but I long for Bud Grant style discipline for the Vikes. Grant wouldn't even let his players spike the ball!

And North61, get me a beer, newbie!

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Was gonna ask this on the MNF thread but figured it would get lost. Plenty of Vikings followers here, apparently, so ... what's the deal with Tarvaris Jackson?

What I mean -- why all the love? The guy comes in to a standing ovation and every play he makes it's like he's Michael Vick. I was under the impression most Minnesota fans were somewhat upset over his second-round selection. I guess they've warmed?

Draft saved Draft deleted