1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe wants Jerry West to return as Lakers GM or he wants out of L.A.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 28, 2007.

1. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

For the final time, Kobe did not run Shaq out of town ... Shaq wanted a max contract extension (and publicly called out Jerry Buss during an exhibition game that season). Jerry Buss refused. After the Lakers were swept by the Pistons in the Finals, Shaq publicly demanded to be traded because Buss refused to give him max money. The Lakers decided to deal him. Bryant had already decided to sign with the Clippers, but Buss made a last-ditch effort to Bryant because he knew how disasterous it would be from a public relations standpoint for the Lakers to lose both stars in one offseason. Bryant has admitted he talked to Jerry West and West advised him to stay with the Lakers. Buss and Kupchak convinced him they'd rebuild the franchise and bring in top talent. So, he re-signed with the Lakers.

Saying Bryant ran Shaq out of L.A. is the easy scenario that people like to latch on to, but it's pretty far from the actual truth.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The diva routine started as soon as Charlotte drafted Bryant. It's interesting that Jackson was able to get Jordan to concentrate on making his teammates better, while he cannot do the same with Bryant. Granted, Bryant doesn't have a true Pippen at his side, but the talent level of his supporting cast isn't that much worse than Jordan's was with the Bulls.

On the other hand, Jackson is getting an idea what it was like to coach the Jordan Bulls before he arrived.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Ok, this trade would work according the NBA trade machine at ESPN.

Kevin Garnett for Lamar Odom, Kwame Brown and the Lakers No.1 this/next season.

I believe Brown's contract expires after next season, so his 8 mil comes off and give the T-Wolves some space to rebuild. Odom, if healthy can be a solid point forward as the team builds around Randy Foye.

The Lakers still need a PG though, because Smush isn't going to cut it.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Kobe will be forever a head case and as long as Phil Jackson is around the Lakers will at least make the playoffs. Once Phil leaves the Lakers will end up near the bottom of the league year in and year out regardless of who the GM is.

5. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

It's probably just me, but I think this is Kobe's camp putting this out through Bucher (essentially, Kobe's mouthpiece) to do two things:

a) get people talking about Kobe when there are two kind of slow conference finals going on, and only two true stars left (and one of them, Duncan, is a reluctant star)

b) get the lakers front office to do something drastic with this loaded draft coming

I cannot envision a scenario where Kobe leaves the Lakers. Did he not buy his wife's parents a mansion down the block from him? He's kind of universally loathed throughout the rest of the country for the whole Colorado hotel thing ... yet he's still loved in LA. He's not leaving.

GB hack - why would the Wolves do that? Brown's contract is up after next year, but all you're doing is helping a Western Conference foe. Minny's frontcourt would be Mark Blount, Craig Smith, and Kwame Brown. Zero chance of this happening.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say zero chance because you know who the Wolves' GM is right?

Less just say it's very slim and hope McHale gets lost at sea without a phone for a few months until the early trade and sign periods are done.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The thing is the Lakers have the cap space to make some moves this offseason, according to ESPN about $23 mil in cap space. With Luke Walton the only person they would be desperate to re-sign of the group that are out of contract, they could go after someone to be a strong second option behind Bryant, and Garnett could be one of those if you load up on what you give in return.

The talk is Garnett wants out, so the T-Wolves might have to get rid of him for 60 cents on the dollar to make sure they get something. In addition, they only have 13 mil in cap space right now, so they might move a player who is over 30 for some cap space down the line. The T-Wolves, as presently constituted, don't appear to be going anywhere soon. But if they build around Foye, get an extra No.1 in a deep draft, and keep the core together with the cap space you've created for further down the line, you could have something substantial later.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

MASSIVE, MASSIVE difference between little old me and a guy who has the spotlight on him. Not even close, actually.

Guy should bitch if that's how he feels, but behind closed doors. It's bush league to air grievances in the press. Every player who does it is righty skewered by fans and media.

Also:

Lakers lost to Pistons in five, not a sweep . . guess it is easy to forget.

And I love how Mr. coffeeman tries to show knowledge by saying Kobe "ran Shaq out of Inglewood," since A. The truth i a thousand times deeper than that and it's amusing when people discount Shaq's role in the breakup and B. The Lakers hadn't called Inglewood home in five years by that point.

9. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Don't sell yourself short, Piotr ... you're a superstar in my eyes :D

10. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I have to get up to speed on this. It seems there are a two schools of thought on this story: Kobe wants out and wants to try to put the blame on someone else/make demands which can't be met or Kobe really doesn't want to go and really wants West to come in.

Looks like Kobe is starting to think harder about his legacy, and that ring by Shaq last year is looming a bit larger.

Can't say I blame him. He knows the stakes. Is he doing the 'right' thing? Depends on your take, I guess.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All this stuff has driven Jerry Buss to drink

CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) — Los Angeles Lakers owner Jerry Buss was arrested early Tuesday for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol.
    The 74-year-old Buss was taken into custody shortly before 1 a.m. after he drove his gold Mercedes-Benz station wagon the wrong way on a street in an unincorporated section of Carlsbad that has double yellow lines, California Highway Patrol Officer Tom Kerns
    said.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Kobe dosnt have to think about his legacy. His legacy is set in stone. He isn't thinking about Shaq's ring. He's a proven winner. I don't care if he dosn't win a ring for the rest of his career. When it's all said and done, he will be one of the greatest of all time. Period.

P.S. HE.ALREADY.HAS.3.

Draft saved Draft deleted