1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe wants Jerry West to return as Lakers GM or he wants out of L.A.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, May 28, 2007.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

I heard a different story about why West left. Yes, he and Phil weren't exactly buddies. But the real reason was that West was VERY uncomfortable with little Jimmy Buss following him around and being groomed for the top spot. Apparently, he saw the writing on the wall, that it'd turn into a Very Bussy X-Mas once Jerry stepped down and got out of dodge before that could happen.

I've heard Jerry would enjoy the idea of coming back and resurrecting his reputation with the Lakers. But he's very close with Mitch Kupchak, his protege, so Mitch would either have to invite him back or be fired/kicked upstairs before he'd agree to it.

2. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I've heard a lot of player-coach issues over the years, but this may be the first demand just on the basis of who a general manager is.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I swear, the Lakers are the like Yankees in New York -- everyone wants to talk about a team that has lost its swagger.

4. Claws for Concern

One final thought: Bryant should opt out and go to the Clippers. He should have done that the last time he had a chance.

5. IU90

IU90 Member

Guess its Kupchak's turn to get Kobe's thrown-under-bus treatment.

Kobe had no idea how good he had it when he joined a Laker team that already had the most talented young nucleus in the league. Now that he's chased Shaq & co. away, he doesn't get why Kupchak can't just go out & get him another one. Well, reason No. 1 is YOUR salary, Kobe. Kobe is just reaping what he has sown here, but he wants to blame it on Kupchak.

6. Claws for Concern

Kobe or Kupchak? Methinks the latter of the two won't be in L.A. for much longer.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Here's what Buss should do: Call Kobe, have him come downtown for a meeting and, in his kindest and most grandfatherly voice, tell him, "Jerry's not coming back and Mitch isn't leaving. And neither are you."

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Kobe is becoming quite a diva isn't he ;D

9. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Wow, I had no idea the Lakers possessed the fountain of youth. You mean to tell me if Shaq, Horry, Fox, Malone and Payton had all stayed with the Lakers, they'd still be in their early 30s and playing at a high level? Who knew the Lakers had that much power?
    I enjoy how everyone forgets that the Lakers were destroyed by the Spurs in 2003 and swept by the Pistons in 2004 and that Shaq publicly demanded to be traded when Buss refused to give him a maximum contract extension.
    It's more fun to blame Bryant.

10. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

According to ESPN.com, West was quoted last night as saying something to the effect of "I'm a lifelong Laker and we'll see what happens." ... doesn't exactly sound like someone who isn't interested.

So, he should shut up and accept the fact that Kupchak and Jim Buss are proving to be incompetent?
    Something tells me that, even you Piotr, wouldn't sit idly by while your superiors made inept decisions. I have a notion you'd make your feelings known to just about anyone who'd listen. ;)

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The incompetence started when Kobe ran Shaq out of Inglewood, Gimpy. Kobe should consider his past errors in this area and put a sock in it.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I think Kobe is worried about his legacy and rightfully so -- he wants help and he no longer believes the current Lakers admin is smart enough to make the right kind of deals neccessary to put the Lakers back into the category of contenders. That doesn't make him a diva, a bad guy or any different than any other superstar who wants to win championships

Kobe knows that even though he is still somewhat young in actual years he is getting a little older in basketball years and at some point likely in the next two or three years, his skills will begin to decline and he won't be able to dominate like he can right now.

And he desperately wants to win a title without Shaq around because he knows his critics and even some of his fans will always bring up the "yes, but the Lakers were Shaq's team" when talking about those three rings he is wearing.

Draft saved Draft deleted