1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe in postgame presser

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 16, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So Kobe Bryant has his two little girls with him in the postgame press conference, and it just struck me as manipulative on his part. As in, "they won't ask me any tough questions if I have my kids with me."

Does that seem out of line to anyone else? I mean, if you catch him outside Staples and he has his girls with him, that's one thing, but in an arranged interview session? Probably nothing that can or will be done, but it just seemed wrong on a coupla levels.

2. Bears00

Bears00 Member

Covered a women's college coach who did this after nearly every game. It was incredibly distracting and juvenile. Hang with them after a 10-minute press conference, not during.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've lost track how many people have done this in the past.

It usually works remarkably well.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LeBron's son was with him in a press conference. I think it was after one of the playoff games.

What kind of tough questions does anyone ask in a postgame press conference anyway?

5. Mizzougrad96

Bonds did it a couple times during the home run chase and once when he met reporters for the first time at spring training.

I think Bobby Knight has done it a few times with grandchildren.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Feeling like stirring the pot on this Monday morning, TSP?

7. Dusty Baker was notorious for this in Chicago.

8. Mizzougrad96

It's smart because it works. Plus, if any reporter calls them out on it, they look like a complete douche when the player, coach, manager says "Look, I just want to spend a few minutes with my kid..."

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

If Kobe is trying to protect himself from tough questions in a postgame press conference, shouldn't he have brought them in after his team's choke job in Game 4?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But couldn't it work in our favor too? Ask a tougher question knowing that the coach/player won't storm out or unleash a string of f-bombs with the kid right there? (I'm sure that wouldn't have stopped Knight, but maybe some others...)

11. Mizzougrad96

Someone did that to Bonds at the spring training one and he chastized the reporter for making him act a certain way in front of his kid. I don't remember if it was "make him cry" or "make him mad"

It's also not always done for strategic reasons, sometimes they just want to spend a few minutes with their kids...

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Probably none, but to me that's beside the point. He's brought his preschool children into what for all parties concerned is a work environment. I don't buy the notion that it's not contrived. They're human shields. I mean, who in their right mind would bring their kids into a room full of reporters?

Draft saved Draft deleted