1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe & Call of Duty

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 17, 2010.

1. I know. I just instinctively didn't like it.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

If you don't like this commercial, than you can't like NBA athletes being featured NBA Jam because kids could get hurt jumping off trampolines trying to replicate the moves.
    Anyone who is really up in arms over this is doing it just for show.
    That column Keown wrote was a crock of shit and if he actually believes it, he needs to stop doing what he's doing and let someone mentally competent handle his job.
    And btw, someone please put Bayless out of his misery. He is the most sour human being on the face of the planet and has only gotten to where he is with the schtick that people are into because they hate him so much. Talentless hack.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

If no one is complaining about stay-at-home moms, cooks, taxi drivers, and Jimmy Kimmel being in it, then there shouldn't be not one complaint about Kobe being in it.

That was a soapbox preacher column. Singling out a NBA player over everyone else.

4. That is the most ridiculous reach of all time.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd be more offended if it showed Kobe beating up a woman and then raping her.

Oh wait... That's his real life...

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

Bomani Jones was on OTL this afternoon and made the following (paraphrased) argument: Violence is violence is violence, so where do you draw the line?

I'm pretty sure I yelled something at my TV at that point. I draw the line here: fake violence is OK; real violence is not OK (and there's actually some gray area when it comes to real violence).
    I thought the commercial was clever. It showed that people from all walks of life (athletes, celebrities and us common folk) are able to enjoy this kind of escapism.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If he really believes that, then he's equating boxing and MMA with murder.

8. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I understand that, but if you're going to take one side, you have to stick to it. There is no breathing room.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Is Kobe still relevant?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You're joking right?

11. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

His jersey sales, recent NBA titles and the fact that he's the best player in the league would indicate "yes."

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wow ...

Draft saved Draft deleted