1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kobe Bryant torn Achilles'?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Two pages in, I thought it'd be sooner.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Ask the 2002 Kings about that.

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Obviously I'm not going to include you, Chet, among those on whom I'm about to remark. But will this injury ordeal of Bryant's take him to another level in terms of the general public forgiving or at least forgetting not only the Colorado incident but his diva tendencies and orneriness as the Lakers' franchise star? Will a larger segment of sports fans pull for him now, compared to any point in his past, to overcome this physical challenge and at least return to NBA courts for a final act?

The Lakers probably weren't going anywhere in the postseason with Bryant this spring. Who's to say where they'd be headed next season or the season after that? But this gives Kobe a shot at some real image-polishing, in a way he's never had it. People slobber over Michael Jordan's ruthlessness as a competitor, but in Kobe it's always been painted with more of a selfish, ego-driven tint. Now he's human in a way most haven't seen.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not touching this with a 10-foot ski pole.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't even think a fixed game could get the Lakers into the Finals this year.

Even with Kobe healthy, I don't think they were going to advance in the playoffs, but I could have seen them making a No. 1 vs. No. 8 series very interesting. I guarantee you the Thunder and Spurs are a little relieved to not have to worry about Kobe, not that they're happy he got hurt, obviously...

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I admittedly never followed Kobe much till this season but at his age to still be at top of his game and almost single handedly willing The Lakers into the playoffs is pretty amazing.

I heard his trainer Tim Grover on Rome the other day talking about Kobe's relentless drive and mental preparation. Grover was on hawking his new book which talks about common traits of elite athletes who he refers to as "cleaners" . I've also heard Jay Bilas who is also making the rounds talking about his book which also deals with the mental aspects of elite players.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think part of the reason why the Lakers' play this season had been so disappointing is that it came despite Kobe playing like a mad man, something, that, entering this season, nobody would have thought would have been necessary, at least not to barely secure a No. 8 seed.

Obviously, he's not going to win, but I'll be curious how he finishes in the MVP voting. I mean, I think they said over the last stretch, he was averaging 46 minutes a game. That's insane for anyone, much less someone his age...

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Dirk Nowitzki hadn't hurt his knee and the Mavs hadn't dropped 10 games under .500 afterward, the Mavs are pushing 50 wins again and the Lakers are buried. Kobe is benched the final 10 games and is fresh as a daisy for 2013-14.

Those damned Germans again.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I see this playing out like the Mariano Rivera injury.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Wins the Internet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vONRhz8yCqI

11. Has anyone reached out to Drip and asked how he's holding up?

Draft saved Draft deleted