1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knoxville murders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, May 31, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There is hate involved.

2. I doubt that very seriously.
    Which makes it, to me, a pretty horrifying crime.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Um, that's what the American left has been doing for decades with its silly push for more "hate crimes" legislation. In fact, hate crime legislation is nothing BUT a political ploy of the left to play their favorite game of "gotcha" by labeling anyone who opposes it as a racist.

Or lest we forget the NAACP And Urban League -- with every other group of lefties cheering them on -- trying to use the case of the black guy who was dragged behind a truck in Texas by white racists as an example of how racist George W. Bush is because it happened in his state and he wasn't jumping on the "hate crimes" legislation bandwagon.

How do I know this? Oh, that's right someone from the NAACP called me -- and apparently a lot of other black voters -- the Friday before the election and urged me to vote for Gore because if Bush were elected the world wouldn't be safe for black people because look what happened in Texas to that black man.

That's why I was amazed when I woke up today, seven years later and still haven't had men in white sheets burning a cross and holding a noose because I figured by now, given the hype and hysteria, the Klan and skinheads would be rolling through the country killing us all off because there is no "hate crime" legislation to stop them......

Hate crime legislation is horrible legislation on so many levels it is hard to know where to start but the easiest place is here -- although I know the politically correct thought police from the left can read everyone's mind and knows exactly what they were thinking when they said or did something, I'm guessing most of their "evidence" won't hold up in a court of law.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Speaking of the right....

www.theonion.com/news/index.php%3Fissue%3D4043%26n%3D1&w=onion+bush+vote+votes+black&d=AGGgKurnO11p&icp=1&.intl=us

One of the funniest things I have seen on their site. The election was a Tuesday, of course.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Link doesn't work. But it can NOT be any funnier than the Hammurderer. Impossible.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Lets be clear, there isn't a single crime ever committed against someone because the suspect was fond of the victim. There should be no such thing as a hate crime period. Otherwise, when you start penalizing someone in a free society extra because of his thoughts behind the action, well that's pretty close to the shit Lenin was pulling back in the 30's and 40's. The act itself is all anyone should be penalizing. The thought behind it should be irrelevant.

7. My own doubts about hate-crime laws -- that they are essentially thought crimes -- stem from exactly FH's point. However, there is little question that certain crimes are committed in order to suppress and intimidate the living as well as to kill the person who winds up dead, to assert cultural and political supremacy, be that racial or sexual. Lynching, the attack on Rosewood and on Tulsa, all these are more than the sum of their combined criminal acts. They are tools of political oppression and, as such, I can see where there might be a political component to the sentencing, which is why I feel strongly both ways on this issue.
    But the notion that people cannot kill without "hate" for their victim is belied by laws already on the books. Mafia hits can be bumped up to death penalty cases if the victim is a witness, or if the crime is committed to intimidate the jurors.

8. Flying Headbutt

On the other hand, aren't there alread laws on the books that make it a crime to threaten someone's life or livelihood?

9. Simon_Cowbell

So... it's a crime to be a witness against the mob?

10. Flying Headbutt

11. No.
    Not in this sense. If I lynch a black shopowner in the town square in order to send a message to all the other black shop owners, those laws don't apply because I have not committed the crime in order to intimidate any one person, but several.

12. Simon_Cowbell

You are threatening its livelihood.

Draft saved Draft deleted