1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knowing your place and when it's appropriate to let loose on a co-worker

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wedgewood, Nov 12, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It's his spellchecking skills.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Since when does part-timer = inferior?

I don't agree that her actions as described here are warranted, but there are many reasons to have a part-time job instead of a full-time one, and being inferior at the job doesn't top that list.

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

The next time she calls you or anyone else out like that, don't back down. You let her know that will be the last time it happens, and you tell your boss how you feel.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You're right, Cadet.

But the fact is, part-timers don't carry as much weight.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But cover your ass on this... the last thing you want to to find yourself in the HR office hearing that she complained you threatened her... make sure you either have someone else there or slip the digital recorder in your pocket recording your conversational displeasure...

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Or he could just run the spellcheck and STFU.

7. I'll ask the obvious question. Which one of the night editors is the part-timer sleeping with?

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If your paper had the resources to have someone who is a proofer, why does it need to hire part-timers in key editing spots?

I would wait for your time to make an issue of this. Maybe when the parttimer gives someone else a hard time.

Making a type in a 50-point headline is not a strong leg to stand on.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I went off on a coworker just the last week. To keep a long story short (for once) lets just say I went waaaaaaaay beyond the call of duty. I was busy with something else that this fat pussycat would never even dream of lowering herself to do, and she asked me to do something else. I said no, I was busy with something else (which she could plainly see). She made a crack about people making excuses and I let her have it.

She ran to the boss, who laughed and backed me up. Do I feel bad? Yeah, because I'm trying to get a promotion.

But the boss is used to her bitching. I win. ;)

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Print out this thread and leave it on her desk. I think that will do the trick.

(AND run spell-check.)

11. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

Just about every stop I've been at there's someone who is difficult to deal with. It's usually becasue they are very unhappy poeple. I'm a pretty laid back person, so I let them go off, because there's nothing you can do to make them see the light. Their lives suck and they want to make everyone else miserable. You can leave the office knowing they're going die sad and alone. So take solace in that. ;)

12. e4

e4 Member

you lost your window to be most effective, didn't you? why not just say, half-jokingly, to her when she calls you out, "yeah, was in a rush. missed it. good catch. thanks for letting everyone know."

that way, everyone knows what they should know.

Draft saved Draft deleted