1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Knowing" sucks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by duckncover, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

This was the worst movie that I've ever seen done by Cage and he's made some bad ones. It started out so great but the alien crap was something that could've been left out. I was pissed off. However, I watched Gran Torino after it and was invigorated all over again.

2. duckncover

duckncover Member

OK. Now I gotta rent Gran Torino. Completely forgot about that one.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Previews looked sorta interesting, but gosh, with these reviews I might stay away.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

STAY VERY FAR AWAY.
    If I could get away with it, I'd like to kick Nicholas Cage's ass for putting this crap out.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I know Nicolas Cage. We used to take jujitsu and pilates together, back-to-back, and let me assure you that he would not be the one getting his ass kicked in this scenario.

6. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Ha! 1.06 where I live.

And I thought it wasn't all that bad. I can list 10 to 20 worse movies. What Dreams May Come, Event Horizon, Fifth Element, Blair Witch Project, etc., come to mind immediately as absolutely awful.

7. duckncover

duckncover Member

Fifth Element was campy good fun. Blair With was bad, yes, but it wasn't exaclty big hollywood, where oceans must part just to get a big-budget flick like Knowing made. I passed on the other ones, trusting the reviewers.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I loved the Blair Witch Project, because I did it the right way. The proper viewing procedure is as follows:

1) Be raised by pentecostal parents who almost never let you see movies until you are a teenager, and even then definitely not scary movies.

2) Sneak out to see BWP without their permission at 16.

3) Watch it alone.

4) Walk home in the dark afterwards.

In that context, it's awesome.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Blair Witch gets hammered here, and 10 years later, yeah, it's not as scary or as awesome as it was portrayed.

But it was still pretty fuckin good for what it was, and that last scene is still one of the best, most jarring final scenes I've ever, err, seen.

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Wish I could have read this BEFORE I rented The Knowing over the weekend. I thought the premise sounded interesting, a little girl writing the dates of significant tragedies that hadn't happened yet, but they absolutely blew it. What a rip-off. On the plus side, I was kicking myself for spending 2 hours of my life on that junk, and then I watched The Unborn, which practically made The Knowing look like a masterpiece. Now I'm kicking myself for spending another 2 hours on that.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Best part about Blair Witch was that plenty of people went into it thinking it was really a documentary.

12. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I really have to disagree.
    Knowing was sooooo much worse than The Unborn.
    That stupid-ass "surprise" ending was the worst. Don't rent this one at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted