1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knicks-Nuggets megabrawl??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, Dec 16, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Maybe you didn't see the fight go into the stands.

Develop a brain cell, and then we'll talk.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

When was the last time you saw a NHL fight that spilled into the stands? I can tell you. The 19-fucking-70's, the infamous Bruins-Rangers fight at Madison Square Garden. Mike Milbury and the rest of the Bruins went into the stands and traded blows with the Rangers' fans. Since then, the stands have been strictly verboten. Meanwhile, how many NBA fights spill into the stands? Bulls-Knicks, Pacers-Pistons, Pacers-Knicks, Knicks-Suns...the list goes on an on.

Here are a couple of facts that I'm sure you're not aware of:

1) The NHL banned the bench clearing brawls, made famous of the 1970s Flyers. The last truly ugly brawl in the NHL was Canadiens-Flyers in the 1980's. That fight and the subsequent playoff elimination was the end of the Mike Keenan era/error in Philly.

2) League eliminated the third-man-in, so a fight is between two players. Anyone who jumps in immediately gets tossed and is suspended.

3) Fighting in the NHL is a five minute major penalty. Three fights in a game is a major game misconduct and an automatic one-game suspension.

4) Fighting in the NHL is down. According to The Hockey News there were 41 percent fewer fights in 2005-06 than there were in the 2003-04 season; In 2003-04, there was an average of 1.27 fights per game. Last season? 0.75.

5) The NHL allows fighting because they'd rather have two guys punch and wrestle each other instead of use their sticks on each other. Or maybe you didn't the Marty McSorley-Donald Brashear incident? Also, the presence of the fight makes players aware that if they decide to take a cheap shot at another player, they will probably have to pay a price.

Got anymore stereotypes and misconceptions that I can clear up? Or are you content to be an ignorant know-nothing?

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Okay Dye, then where do you draw the comparison between fighting in the NBA and fighting in the NHL? What does one have to do with the other when we all know fighting never spills into the stands during an NHL game?

Don't use this Knicks/Nuggets brawl to call for an end to fighting in the NHL. It's not even close to the same thing.

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

"If we're up 20 points, we're not going to play Stephon and Eddy," Robinson said. "It's like a slap in the face, saying we're going to embarrass you like that."

Don't worry. I don't think that's ever going to happen.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Let's not overstate the importance of this thing. Yes, it was a brawl, worse than most in the NBA, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the Pistons-Pacers fight, no matter how many times ESPN replays the video to make it seem that way. Saying that the fight went into the stands is true, but misleading, since there was no fan involvement. The NBA has its problems, but excessive violence isn't one of them. People will get short suspensions - I'm guessing 5 games for 'Melo -- and fines and life will go on.

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I believe it's actually Crede Street. It's what Hawk Harrelson wants to name the road U.S. Cellular Field is on.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Try again, dooley. Crede is the Sox's THIRD baseman.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

So, in other words:

1) Fighting in the NHL is good because it keeps players from using the sticks on each other. In other words, the league prefers endorsing the lesser of two evils rather than having enough of a nutsack to deal with the problem.

2) Fighting doesn't result in an automatic ejection, and it takes three fight to get a one-game suspension. That's bold.

3) Suspending people who come off the bench is no different than in basketball. Maybe you have forgotten the Knicks playoff series a few years ago where the suspensions were staggered.

Again: The NHL doesn't have the nuts to deal with players fighting on a nightly basis. That's because it's a suckass league in charge of a suckass sport. No other sport's major league has lost an entire season because of a lockout/strike. No other sport's major league had to rely on visual manipulation for its telecasts. No other sport has had the franchise turmoil the NHL has. No other sport has ratings as low as the NHL. Even the XFL had comparable ratings to an NHL broadcast.

Shall I go on?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Dear Nate,

If you're not down 20 with a minute left, you don't need to worry about teams running up the score.

STFU and play basketball.

Sincerely,

NY basketball fans.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

There's a barrier around the entire stadium for an NHL game.

Keep working on that brain cell. Apparently it needs more time.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For those that haven't seen it yet:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/ivp/index?id=2699968

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

My point exactly. You decried fighting because "it spilled into the stands" so you cannot equate fighting in the NHL to fighting in the NBA.

1) It's accepted in the NHL
    2) It cannot, will not, does not spill into the stands of an NHL rink.

So, I tell you again, stop using the Knicks/Nuggets brawl as an example of why fighting in the NHL should be removed.

It's part of the game, always has been. And it's been accepted by its players, fans, officials and management. And an idiot like you is not going to change that.

Draft saved Draft deleted