1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Knee Replacements

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone had one?

I'm trying to lose some weight and hope that helps but I fear my right knee is closer and closer to trash no matter what I weigh, and I'll soon my looking at a bionic knee.

Not sure I want to deal with it.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

My father, now 72, had one done two years ago. He wasn't diligent about doing his exercises and rehab, so he struggled with it. Lots of pain for a couple of weeks. It took about six months for him to get back to where he was before surgery.

One of my uncles, now in his early 80s, has gotten both replaced. The first one about 10 years ago and the second five years ago. He did extra rehab and was walking 18 holes within a month.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

My dad and mother in law have had it done.

It seems obvious but following through on the rehab is key. Do the exercises, do the physio and you will have better success than going back on the couch.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Time it with the beginning of the Nats season, because you're going to be in bed for about 3-4 weeks.

My mother-in-law was out at least that long.

5. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

My father-in-law had it recently. He's a pretty hefty guy and was a cop on the street. When I say hefty, I mean 300-plus.

He labored through his rehab for a few weeks and is now back on the force, working the same beat he was prior to the surgery.

I want to say surgery/bed rest/rehab was about a three month process for him.

Pretty remarkable, because we all thought there was no way he could keep doing what he was doing post-surgery.

We've even played golf together several times since, and he says it doesn't bother him one bit.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's not the procedure itself that is such a concern, but rather the aftermath and the rehab. Those are the big keys.

If the physician feels that it's an option, look at dropping some weight and see if that spares your needing the procedure. While I wouldn't avoid it at ALL costs, it would have to be pretty bad to opt for it.

Good luck.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My dad had one of his replaced a few years ago. That one's working great now, but his other one has started to give him problems.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

My sister's mother-in-law had both done. The woman's doctor, my sister, who's a nurse, and everyone told the woman to get one replaced, finish the rehab and then get the other one done.
    She wouldn't listen. She had both done at the same time because she 'wanted to get it over with.'
    She was miserable.

But she's doing well now.

9. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

My dad, who is 71, got his right knee replaced about two months ago. He has been diligent about his rehab and only uses his cane when he has to. He has been recovering very nicely - but the key has been his rehab.

He and my mom just spent two days driving to their winter home. He didn't drive, and he put his seat all the way back to keep his leg stretched. They also stopped every couple hours. He came through it very well - better than I thought he would. He thinks the warm weather will do him good - and he really wants to golf again this winter.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

had it done last year and i wish i hadn't. at least i wish i hadn't had it done by this particular surgeon. i had about 3 months of therapy/rehab where i busted my butt and my knee is no better today that it was before the surgery. in fact, i'm worse now because my left foot is now numb more often than not. i actually should talk to a lawyer about a malpractice suit.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have an old-timer I play poker with regularly had his hip done.
    He's a great, crotchetty, old SOB, but he's been working his way through the rehab and getting better.
    I haven't seen him in a month. This Thursday is our regular game but I have to skip it this month.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

10 months ago, I was pretty certain I was going to have to get a knee done at some point later in my life; from officiating an obscene number of games for the better part of 20 years.

I've lost 54 pounds since then.

The knee feels better than ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted