1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

knee replacement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Oct 13, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

anyone have any helpful information from personal experience? i'm at a point where it's my only remaining option.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I've had 13 knee surgeries (going to make it 14 next month), but have not had the full mechanical replacement. My understanding is that it's very reliable now, though you'd never have 100 percent normal function. There's also a new version where they don't cut off the whole joint on the femur side, just part of it, though I don't know if there's much of a track record for how it goes long-term.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The person I know who had it is so glad he did. He's still a pretty good golfer and still plays racquetball.

4. Like Arnold said, it's pretty reliable but you'll never have 100 percent normal function of your knee. But, if you're considering such an operation, then you most likely don't have normal function anyway, so what do you have to lose?

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The medical community is hoping that the new procedure isn't as traumatizing, but as said, there's very little track record for it.

Seek a second opinion, txsport. Surgery guarantees nothing - probably the most overlooked factor when people are so eager to think procedures will fix anything and everything.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

oh believe me, it's not something that has just come up. i've had multiple knee surgeries - actually lost count but surely should have qualified for some kind of frequent operation miles for a freebie by now. there's zero cartilage left at this point and just walking around the office or through the grocery store pretty much does me in. we tried a different surgery last time in 2001 where they did a high tibial osteotomy - surgically broke my leg and realigned it. had an external fixator and was in a wheelchair for about three months but it did nothing more than delay the inevitable.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Both my parents have had both knees done. Big difference -- my mom had them done about 12 years ago. In those days, they did one at a time and it was a long, painful recovery.
    Now, my Dad just had his done a few years ago (2-3), and they did both at the same time, had him up and walking the next day. He had physical therapy for about a month, but after the first few days had little pain. Says it's the greatest thing in the world.

8. BRoth

BRoth Member

My father had his right knee replaced a few years ago and it was like night and day for him. He'll probably have to get his left done at some point and with my family's history, I wouldn't be surprised if I'd be so lucky, too.

Regardless, from what my dad went through it's a shitty process, but it worked out great.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I was told at 18 that I'd have to have my left one completely replaced when I got older as I did a lot of damage before I had my first knee surgery. As soon as I have applicable health insurance and time, I'll probably have the other one done.
    Either way, I just found out about the partial replacement and I'm pretty sure I'll look into that avenue when the time comes.
    The only person I know that's had full replacement was happy with it. He was in his 60s at the time and still played tennis every day.

Draft saved Draft deleted