1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Klitschko vs. Haye, anybody into this HWT title fight?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mrbio, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You say that, and my answer is you didn't see nearly enough of Ali and Frazier and the others from that era. No comparison.

2. mrbio

mrbio Member

Dude, I've seen every Ali and Frazier fight there is to see.

Great fighters in their era but the sport has passed them by.

3. mrbio

mrbio Member

Read this if you want to know what it's like to actually fight Wladimir Klitschko. Some of his opponents talk about how complicated it is. A little more difficult than the American media would tell you, eh?

http://www.boxinginsider.com/headlines/what-its-like-to-box-wladimir-klitschko-opponents-discuss/

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

No wonder boxing is in the mess its in if the sport has "passed by" legends like Ali and Frazier.

A brief detour, which seems kinda relevant (or mebbe not): last summer Famille Huggy was in New York for a few days. We visited Madison Square Garden to visit a buddy who works for the Rangers and Huggy Jr. and I got a picture taken next to a massive photo in the lobby of the first Ali-Frazier fight. I had told Huggy Jr. how I was a huge Ali fan, how he was probably the greatest sports figure of my lifetime and how I was sour at my old man because he wouldn't take me (then six) with him to see the closed-circuit telecast of that first epic fight.

The next day we were chilling in the lobby of our hotel waiting for Mrs. Huggy to finish with the concierge when who walks in but Frazier. (I found out later that he is friends with the general manager and often stops in when he is town.) Smokin' Joe doesn't look great these days but I told Huggy Jr. what a terrific fighter he was, as tough a man as I ever saw in the ring and how he had three epic fights with Ali.

Where am I going with this? Well, aside from our man mrbio, I don't think anyone will pass along the legends of Klitschko (both of them) and Haye and the unforgettable fight they had in 2011 to their kids. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

5. mrbio

mrbio Member

Nice Story, Ali and Frazier are beloved and always a joy to be around, read about, be in the presence of, or watch their old fights. But equally, it is also an inspiring and awesome experience to be around the Klitschko brothers, Tyson, Holyfield, Holmes and Lennox Lewis. Hope you get the chance someday Huggy. All are true classy noble champions, the ultimate personification of a 'Champion.' (yes, even Tyson, believe it or not, he's cool these days)

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Collectively, the Brothers Klitschko couldn't carry Larry Holmes' jock.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm torn between the ridiculousness of both ends here.

1. The brothers Klitschko are not among the top 10 fighters of all time.

2. The brothers Klitschko are not jokes.

8. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

If the Klitschkos were black guys from Detroit or white guys from the Midwest I think America would perceive them very differently.

I think, I have watched every single Klitschko fight that has taken place in the past three years. Anyone who watches those fights and comes away with the idea that heavyweight boxing is dead is blind. The Klitschkos pack out arenas in Germany and do tremendous TV ratings. They are big in the Eastern bloc as well. The simple fact is that the world is bigger than just the US and that heavyweight boxing isn't centered in Vegas any more; it's centered in Germany and it's, mostly, centered around fighters based out of Germany.

It will be interesting to watch how Michael Hunter's career pans out. If he wins gold in London and then turns pro with some success I think you will see a big turn around in how heavyweight boxing is perceived in the US. At the minute there really aren't any relevant American heavyweights. That said, the fact that there aren't any relevant American heavyweights doesn't necessarily mean that all heavyweight boxers suck or that heavyweight boxing is dead.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree. The truth lies somewhere in the middle. I don't think they're all-time legends... but given how bad the rest of the division is, who knows? They both have 40+ wins, so it's not like they're ducking people, excluding each other. It's not like they can take the hot tub time machine back to 1988 to fight Tyson.

10. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Regarding point two, I wonder how many full Klitschko brother fights have people who hold that opinion (or similar opinions) watched in the past five years?

I always get the sense with the Klitschkos that a lot of people have a tendency to simply parrot what they have heard other people say.

11. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

Also, talking of The Klitschkos, this documentary looks like it will be excellent.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

David Haye is gay. At least that's what James Toney said in an interview before he was embarrassed by Randy Couture.

Draft saved Draft deleted