1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Klinsmann talking with U.S. Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

2. I'm so-so on Klinsmann, but if he can get the US to open up and attack, the way he did Germany, then bring him in ASAP and get to work. The US is playing in Copa America, and it should do everything to make at minimum, the Final 4 there. From there, stop having friendlies with Jamaica, Malta and the Maldives. Bulk up the "friendly" schedule with Euros. Play Portugal, Spain, France, the former Soviet states; anyone who plays soccer regularly, y'know, in the winter and spring when most leagues are in action--Don't even get me started on MLS.
    Here's a freebie for Sunil: Organize a summer tournament here in the US - no more than four teams. US, England, Germany Brazil. Weeklong affair. England-Germany in the opener, Brazil-US in the nightcap. Play Game 1 in NY, Game 2 in Foxboro. Championship game in Miami, third-place game in DC. Keeps travel within reason, nice exposure for US. Eventually it grows to eight teams, gains some weight, and the US sharpens up against quality talent.

Just a thought....

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

MLS is in schedule during the summer months. You can't play that many international games and expect to grow your league and have team continuity.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

What exactly were you looking for? They didn't have a particularly impressive World Cup, but they were still one awful PK call (Pimpong's flop) and a goalpost (McBride's header) away from advancing from the Group of Death. They haven't played enough quality opposition, but they've signed on to compete in Copa America next year. They don't have enough quality attackers at the moment, but the likes of Dempsey, Adu and Altidore bring a dynamism that past generations of U.S. players have lacked.

I'm not sure it's fair to expect "major developments". It's a gradual process, and it's undeniably going in the right direction -- just look at the American presence in major European leagues now as opposed to what it was 10 years ago.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I believe what you describe is a relaunching of the U.S. Cup. And I also believe that lineup is a tad ambitious.

http://www.ussoccer.com/teams/mens/nuc/index.jsp.html

As for MLS, there are too many stadium availability issues that for now prevent it from matching everyone else's schedule. Hopefully those issues will disappear as more stadiums are built.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Like Carlos Quieroz, only cheaper and less intelligible.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Shocking as it may seem, countries aren't lining up to play the US. Euro teams have plenty of options right next door, which removes the need for trans-Atlantic travel.

They used to have that summer tournament you spoke of ... remember the US Cup? The last edition was sometime in the mid-90s with the US, Ireland, South Africa and the Mexican C team (a.k.a. the Tri-Pumas).

8. I do remember the US Cup; covered it a couple of times in fact. It was well received in the Boston area, especially the one year when Ireland, Portugal and Italy were invited. I believe the US won it, somehow??
    As to a previous post, I understand my lineup was ambitious and unlikely-just an example. Money talks; make it worth their while to travel 'cross the pond, or fly over there. Have an occasional training camp in Spain or France, no one here will complain, or notice, trust me.
    My point is, if the US wants to be a world power, then act like one. Hire a real coach, play real opponents, succeed in real competitions.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

See that is fun to say, but I don't see how the US isn't doing that. Bruce Arena is/was a real coach with real players playing against real opponents.

Mexico didn't become a complete and utter walk-over. The US also plays friendlies against other nations all the time.

The US does need to play more often against the more established nations, but you can't do that by taking away from the MLS schedule.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Look at a year of games for a team like England.
    Lots of Maltas and Andorras.
    A few Polands.
    Before WCup, they even played Jamaica.
    You won't see them lining up against France or Spain unless there's something on the line. The American notion that "we need to play the Established Soccer Nations" in order to become better is poppycock. It's a model that NO ONE ELSE IS FOLLOWING. What do we need? Better players. We're getting there.

11. You're forgetting one thing: England's roster--results notwithstanding--is filled to the brim with world-class players who can get by against Jamaica and Malta. Those guys play the best every week in their domestic leagues. You going to tell me Houston Dynamo-Real Salt Lake has the same cache' as any Premier League match, much less a Champions League match? C'mon, you're delusional if you think the US' standing is the same as other nations, and therefore they can follow the same model.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I believe that the proper response isn't to try and compare the local league fixtures with that across the pond.

Is Brian Ching preparing for the World Cup by scoring goals against RSL? Yes, but it isn't exactly like he's going against some defense made of paper.

MLS isn't the equivalent of the EPL, but it isn't so far behind that the competition doesn't matter. What matters is that the players continue to push forward and challenge themselves regardless of the competition.

Beasley was, at one point, considered the best player on the US roster. What is he doing now? He's not even an option for Reading. He's damn near dropped off the face of the earth.

Meanwhile a guy like Dempsey goes out and looks like a world beater in the W.C. but the perception is that he's a lesser player since he is a "lesser" league.

Draft saved Draft deleted