1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Klapisch is Injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slowdream101, Jul 11, 2008.

1. slowdream101

slowdream101 New Member

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/Record_columnist_hurt_in_baseball_game.html

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Gives a whole new meaning to "You gotta play hurt."

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ouch. Hurts just to read about it.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Oh man, that sucks. Get well, Mr. Klapisch.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

klap and i came up in the biz together. he's good people.

but, please, bob, it's time to stop livin' the dream. this is a message that, at 50, pitching in an over-aged baseball league ain't for you.

6. AdrianWoj

AdrianWoj New Member

Because Klap is facing such a long and difficult road back to regain his vision, I'm not sure this is the time to be lecturing him about playing semi-pro baseball at his age. Maybe it would just be best to offer up a prayer for him.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Never met Mr. Klapisch, but have always enjoyed reading his work online, even when I was back in England and starting to get into baseball seriously. I really hope he comes through this OK.

I'm guessing this is a question for Doctalk, but what are the possible outcomes of the surgery Klapisch is going to have to undergo? From the story, it sounds like reduced vision in the eye is pretty much guaranteed, which is awful.

8. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

from one Lion to another, I'm hoping for the best.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Goddamn, that really sucks. Love reading his stuff b/c of the perspective he brings. And The Worst Team Money Could Buy (co-authored with John Harper of the NYDN) should be required reading for everyone in the biz.

So should this: An incredibly enjoyable essay about why he plays well into middle age. It's a little sad, reading it today.

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/2005/09/from_the_press_1.php

Get well soon.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Back when I use to read the New York papers with regularity, I would always check into New Jersey to read Klapisch. I always thought he did the best job of writing on the Yankees. He had great insights and great features.

I assume he broke a lot of stuff as well, but I'm not really sure since I didn't read the other guys enough.

Anyway, good luck.

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

BYH,
    Thanks for posting that article. I had never read it; it explains a lot about Klap the person and Klap the ball player.
    He has some horrific surgeries ahead. I hope they don't prevent him from continuing to excel in his second love, or from watching his young kids play his first love. My thoughts are with him.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As someone who has taken one of those shots to the face on a baseball field -- fortunately, it didn't shatter any bones but my eye was swollen shut for three days and I had migraines for a month -- I wish Bob all the best.

He might have been 1/8-inch away, like I was, from not sustaining any major damage at all. The beauty and tragedy of baseball, but I think he knew that all along. Hopefully, his vision will come back and he'll be able to appreciate it more.

And good on him that he's still playing. What a wonderful piece of writing in that link that BYH posted.

Draft saved Draft deleted