1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kiss today goodbye ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxer, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And you're sure it never gets left in online?

I see it regularly on almost every newspaper website I visit.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Versatile, I should say it's meant to never be "today" online. In theory, if not in constant practice ...

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks as though they're here to stay.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's the problem. Having different styles for online and print creates unnecessary double work. Unnecessary double work is stupid.

5. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Some people think saying today in a newspaper rather than Sunday is better and some don't. To each his own.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And the editing will be hit-and-miss. So the styles will be mixed. Not good.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's not a logical response. One of those groups of people is the cause for widespread stylistic inconsistency in Web content and double-work for editors. How does preferring to see "today" justify that?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Not arguing (yet). But ...

What would your rule be for places that have two products -- a print newspaper and a 24/7 website? I mean, they are different products. That what the Web is the Future people have been telling us for a decade. Or aren't they?

I'll hang up and listen (but I may call again).

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That was my point.

10. Johnny Dangerously

So you're advocating different styles for web and print.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I have no idea how you drew that conclusion. I want to strike today from all platforms.

12. Johnny Dangerously

I can see the convenience for staff. I'm not ready to say I'm on board that it's as good a thing for readers.

Draft saved Draft deleted