1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kings of Prosperity

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Our TV guy gave me a disk with the first two eps on it. Dreadful. Just dreadful. A few funny lines, a great premise (I think, at least), but... dreadful. There's a ton of 70's retro kitsch, including the Shaft-like theme song sung by one of the cast. Let's see. Middle eastern cabbie, black security guard (theme song singer), Latina waitress and two idiot white dudes. Oh, and a pasty geek kid they brought on as an intern. Word is this has been getting a ton of positive press from critics. I can't imagine what they're watching.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, you mean Knights of Prosperity?

3. Killick

Well, yeah. Sorry. Cared that little for it I didn't even care to get the name right.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

The show as done by the creators of "Ed," so you can count me among those who will at least give it a shot. Then again, part of me still hopes this bombs so those guys can go back to what should be priority No. 1: getting "Ed" out on DVD finally.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

For what it's worth (and I'm not saying it's worth anything), the Washington Post critic all but had an orgasm about it:

http://tinyurl.com/ylnymg

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Tom Shales usually hates everything, so I was surprised.

7. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

I don't know how much it changed since then, but I saw a test airing of the pilot last spring and it wasn't that bad. I don't know that I'll add it to the must Tivo list, but I'll give it a shot.

8. Killick

I, too, was a huge fan of Ed. Can't believe those guys made this fetid turd. The pilot was okay, I guess, but by the second ep you're groaning and looking for a way out.

Read Shales' review. "I really liked the bridges, and I thought Madison was an excellent county"? That's funny? Really? And he says one cast member is a "young Ray Bolger." Oh yeah, 'cuz nothing says "knee-slappingly and side-splittingly funny" like the Scarecrow. Quick - name anything else Bolger was in. Egads.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

NY Times gave it a blah review today.

10. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

Our critic said it changed quite a bit from the summer pilot.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I got enough out of it tonight that I'll watch it again. Same with the show after it, "In Case of Emergency." Wednesday had been kind of a weak night in the fall anyway, although adding "Friday Night Lights" at 8 p.m. has improved it.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Uhhhh...have you forgot about One Tree Hill? Who are you? What have you done with Shottie? :D

I liked Knights of Prosperity. It was pretty funny from start to finish. The line about being born with a spork up his ass was classic, and the intern listening to Meredith Brooks over and over again was great.

Best part: They get the key to Mick's apartment...then the final scene is Mick walking into a fortress that includes palm recognition entry, closed-circuit cameras, a metal detector and at least three guards.

Draft saved Draft deleted