1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

King Puts His Knee Pads on For...........

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't think that it is the most important story in the world, but if say a Marvin Harrison had quit the year before the Colts made it to the Super Bowl, even though they still wanted him to play, I'd want to read that story.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree. Cheers.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Do you not read the New york papers?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Shockey defending Shockey. Shocking.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No interceptions because dumbass tight ends aren't breaking off routes.

6. Sorry. I thought you meant LARRY King. Not that knee pads are foreign to him, either....

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Yep...I thought the wrong King when I saw the thread title.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figured it was about Don King talking about the fantabulousness of Rudy.

Frankly, Tiki isn't half the tv personality he was a running back. He seems so intent on showing that he isn't a typical "ex-jock" that there seems to be little reason to have him on NBC's coverage. He is the rare type of person who can be both bland and bitter.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

All the time. Try to sell subscriptions?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just up on SI

"PK's dispatches from the Scottsdale Hyatt:

So there I was, just aching for a Mountain Dew since this hotel does not have Starbucks in the lobby (completely outrageous, letter to hotel chain president to follow) so I explain to the concierge that I am Peter King and need a soda, pronto, because I am just not going to pay $7 for a soda from the minibar (second letter to hotel chain president to follow). Fortunately the young man is a Brett Favre fan, and orders a bellman to take me to the business center, which houses the only soda machine in the building. I thank the bellman but felt a tip would be inappropriate since I had been so completely inconvenienced in the first place.

I get to the business center, and look for an open work station--somehow I have lost the charger to my laptop, I suspect Costas swiped it, he is always sneaking around my stuff. There is one open computer (I'm sure when the guy got back from the bathroom he understood why I had to move his stuff, I left him a note explaining I was Peter King), so I put down my stuff, and hop over to the soda machine.

AND WOULD YOU BELIEVE: there is no Mountain Dew in that machine. Caffeine Free Pepsi, Diet Sprite, and a very dusty looking Grape Fanta. I stand there stunned...what would Brett do? This is all about forcing people to use the minibar, I am positive. But now I have no choice, I am going to be stuck with that Fanta. One dollar and twenty-five cents for a Fanta. Unreal. I slide two bucks into the machine, out comes the Fanta which looks like it has been there since Mike Ditka played for the Cowboys. But no change. I wait, but there is no change. And believe me, I am not willing to pay $2 for a Grape Fanta. I tap the machine...nothing. Tap a little harder....nothing. Well, you can imagine how aggravating this was, so I bumped it just a tad harder....you would think I was Jerome Bettis the way that thing shattered into a thousand pieces. What a mess, plexiglass and Sprite everywhere. And still no change.

Of course I told the lady in the business center that NBC would pay for the damage, minus the missing change. Probably would have been easier to expense it to SI, but since it was Costas who stole the charger, I figure this should be an NBC issue.

Note to self, remind idiot travel agent to only use hotels with Starbucks in lobby.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Well that and he can't block for shit.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm a good blocker, dammit!!

Draft saved Draft deleted