1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

King Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2009.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Working, but my heart's in DC. Really hope this pic works.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Bank, Sports Authority, Costco and a haircut.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I used to have them both off, which was awesome, considering my birthday landed on one. Then they took it away from me.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I also don't think people should have President's day off. Just Mikey. And just so he can spend his birthday ogling Danielle Fishel.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

You said a mouthful there.

Want to hear something really, really depressing. My wife is a teacher at an elementary school. Last year, she taught 5th graders.

Last year, in honor of MLK day, she asked her 24 students to write an essay on what Martin Luther King meant to them and why we celebrate his holiday. 18 of the 24 kids, in some form or another, wrote that Dr. King freed the slaves.

Now, maybe it's asking a lot for fifth-graders to know history, but my son, who is in pre-K and goes to a private school (read: majority white) gave this answer when I asked him this morning why we celebrate MLK day: "Because he helped let Robert (his best friend, who is African-American) and me go to the same school, instead of different schools." Very simple, juvenile answer, but hard to argue the accuracy.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's touching. I have a tear in my eye. Kids only know what is taught to them. I once went to a record shop (yeah back in the day) and the guy had a picture of Dr. King on his wall.
    Wouldn't you know it some kid came in and asked if he was a new rap star?

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

The private school at which I work is opened today. Classes aren't in session yet, but faculty and staff have to work ... well, I didn't. But I used a vacation day for other reasons.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, because clearly MLK was more important than GW or Honest Abe.

9. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Was your bank open?

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

All banks are closed.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, since I went to two stores and got gas today, and called my doctor's office to make an appointment...no.

Draft saved Draft deleted