1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindred on deadline writing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by novelist_wannabe, Feb 1, 2010.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If this is a d_b I apologize. Didn't see it. Still, a neatly done treatise on cranking out copy when you have to in a hurry:

http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/a-deadline-column-about-writing-on-deadline/comment-page-1/#comment-2993

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Good piece. I just sent it to my fellow staffers.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Great responses from Schulian, Pierce, and others.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's easy to write nothing.
    Best part of that entry is John Schulian's comment.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Some good stuff there. Thanks for the link.

I've been in the business for more than five years and still struggle hitting deadlines. Not sure if Mr. Kindred's points will help, but I'll give it a try.

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Great, great stuff.

My favorite line, which I think about with every game I cover:

" 'Always be ready to write,' he said. We were at a heavyweight championship fight. 'Be thinking, if this ends on the next punch, ‘What can I write?’ ' "

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Fantastic. Every one of them words rings true.

Not to change topics, because I don't think I am, but something that's often overlooked in the debate over blogging is how much it can help you on deadline.

Some view it as a hindrance to deadline writing, if for no other reason than blogging takes time from deadline writing. I don't feel that way at all.

I live blog everything I do on my beat, a beat for a school in the Eastern Time Zone where every other conference school is in the Central, in other words, 8 p.m. tipoffs, which aren't conducive to deadline.

I've found that blogging helps me immeasurably when it comes to refining my angle for the deadline story because, true to what Kindred writes, I am constantly writing. Just as the event unfolds before me, I am able to work through and sort out the importance of what's happening.

Blogging is like a rough draft, I can keep what I feel is relevant and toss out the rest, but I've also been working mentally through the event, much in the same way Kindred advises. I have an every-but-the-kitchen-sink sort of mind, so blogging helps me get focused. Not always, I thought my deadline story on the game I did yesterday was a mess, but more often than not, it helps a ton for me.

8. Colton

Colton Active Member

Great, great stuff... just sent it out to all of my gang.

Thanks for the link, n_w

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think we all know deadline writing is hard, but I think a lot of times we make it harder than it has to be. I just thought this had some practical advice about how to minimize that. Plus, I always enjoy reading Kindred.

Draft saved Draft deleted