1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindle vs. Nook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by accguy, Aug 1, 2010.

1. accguy

accguy Member

Now that these things have dropped dramatically in terms of price, I'm considering an e-reader. I think it would lead me to reading more (hopefully). I would also like to get an e-reader subscription to my metro paper and cancel my hard copy subscription.

Questions:
    1. How do people like them?
    2. How is the newspaper reading experience? I can see the metro hard copy at my place of employment, so the e-reader wouldn't have to be a full substitute.
    3. How did people decide between the Kindle and the Nook?

I am considering a Nook because of the ability to "check out" e-books from my local library for free. You can't do that, obviously, on a Kindle.

I'll hang up and listen.

2. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't offer any reviews of either, but I'm one of the curious ones so I'll be checking this thread for any feedback.

My friend works at B&N, so he's obviously very high on the nook. I've checked it out at the local B&N and I like the feel of it. I'll probably be purchasing one in the next month or so.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Can't speak for the Nook but I love my Kindle so much it's ridiculous. Newspapers, magazines, and books in one skinny little device...so incredibly great, especially if you travel, or you tend to get behind on reading. I've picked up at least 200 sq feet of counter and desk space now that I no longer have to pile up weeks of Sunday NYTimes and New Yorkers. Also wonderful if you like to read more than one book at once, if you use various reading materials for work/pleasure, or if you tend to get 50 pages into a book and decide you hate it. With the Kindle, you just order another book, or open another one you already have.

Just got a very cool cover with a built-in light, which you really do need.

Whichever you choose, battery life is key, so definitely compare.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I love my Kindle just don't have enough time to read. I get the NYTimes every day on it and I do seem to read more of the Times on my Kindle then I did when I got the paper version.

If you turn off the wirless feature except when you need it, the Kindle can last for at least a week without recharging

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

My guess -- Kindle wins long-term because it is connected with Amazon.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Latest Kindle sold out in advance, get in line for September.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Globally/dp/B003FSUDM4/ref=amb_link_353259562_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-10&pf_rd_r=1HM8P75KF9QMVK6S85YM&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1270985982&pf_rd_i=B002Y27P3M

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My wife loves her Nook. One edge it has is that the battery is replaceable. When the battery can't be charged any longer in a Kindle, you've got to buy a new Kindle.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Barnes and Noble should have put more though into the name, because when I hear it during an NPR sponsorship notice, it sounds like "nookie reader."

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I went with Kindle initially because Nook was not yet shipping and also have always preferred Amazon over BN.

Love my Kindle - zero complaints. Makes traveling a lot lighter without a bag of books and magazines to lug.

Get the NYT daily and find it much easier and quicker to read in Kindle format. Would not go back to hard copy.

The 3G wireless is flawless.

Only complaint is that when flying you have to turn off in take offs and landings since it is considered an electronic device.

It will only get better from here. I imagine at some point it will become complete communications device.

10. accguy

accguy Member

Boom,

Thanks much for the insight. I think I'm going to get one of these bad boys. Just a matter of how soon.

Very much looking forward to reading more and not having piles of newspaper to recycle.

11. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding snarky, save a few extra bucks and spring for an iPad.

12. accguy

accguy Member

Linotype, I don't need/want an ipad. I have a Macbook.

And it's not just "a few extra bucks." The middle of the road wi-fi only ipad and the low end 3G ipad are $450 more than a wi-fi only Nook or Kindle.

Draft saved Draft deleted