1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kindle Fire just a flash in the pan?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, May 4, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/05/04/was-amazons-kindle-fire-just-a-flash-in-the-pan/

Shipments fell from 4.8 million in Christmas quarter to less than 750,000 units last quarter, according to link above.

From something I read on Seeking Alpha, that took them from 17 percent of the tablet market in Q4 2011 to just 4 percent in Q1 2012. That other piece also argued (based on what a supplier of the e-Ink screens for the basic Kindle units told him--Amazon is not buying any) that with the Kindle Fire, Amazon basically killed its basic Kindle market, where it may not be selling much of anything. If he's right, Amazon's attempt to eat into Apple and Google's dominance bit the dust VERY quickly, and they may are probably not the player they were in the eReader market before they introduced the Fire.

For what it is worth, I like my Kindle Fire. I use it most as just an eReader for books, and read a lot on it now, with an occasional app and some basic web browsing thrown in when it's the closest thing to grab. When I bought it, though, my thinking was that I wanted an eReader smaller than the iPad, and if I was going to get one, I might as well spend the bit extra and get the one with basic tablet capabilities. I am wondering how many people bought it thinking it was more than what it is, and if so, if that is just not enough now with the crossover between devices?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My wife tried using her iPad as an e-reader, but ended up getting a Nook, which I believe Microsoft now wants to convert to Kindle Fire II. She got the Nook because it was much lighter than an iPad, something she could just throw in her purse.

I understand the iPad success has put pressure on everyone to get into the tablet business, but for some, unless the tablet is as light and easy as an e-reader, there is a need and a place for a single-use device. Especially if it's relatively inexpensive.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't help them that there's a Kindle app you can download for free onto an iPad and other mobile devices.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You mean they sold more over Christmas, when it was the most popular gift out there, than during the first quarter of the year?

Duh.

The only reason the iPad doesn't have the same dips is because they put out a new one every year or so.

I'm getting an iPad through work at the end of the summer, but I love my Kindle Fire.

5. I have all Apple products for my technology with one exception: the Kindle Fire. And out of all that stuff, the iPod, the iPhone, my MacBook, the Kindle Fire is my favorite.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

If I hadn't gotten an iPad as a gift at Christmastime, I would almost certainly have bought a Fire. I do remember a good amount of Fire backlash when it came out. People seemed to think it was going to be the same as an iPad, only smaller and cheaper, and when it wasn't, they were pissed. I remember reading the comments on Amazon.com and there were a lot more negatives than I expected (this was around the time I fully expected I'd be buying one).

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't imagine being much happier than I am with mine.

I wish it had more memory, but all that means is you have to rotate things in and out. If I'm not working, I almost never use the laptop anymore.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A week ago, the news was that helped Amazon blow out 1q earnings.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kindle-fire-helps-amazon-beat-224100670.html

I can't imagine ever getting more value for my $200 than I've received from my Fire.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Amazon forgot that part of Apple's success came from underselling the features of its products. Jobs sold really cool things and made simplistic things about them sound amazing. So when you found out you could hold it to the sky and see constellations, you were floored.

Amazon sold a really nice product, an ereader with a browser, as an alternative to an IPad. They didn't control expectations.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is Amazon going to be all that upset if the Kindle Fire does fail? They're selling it for $199, which I believe leaves them little or no profit on the item itself. There's still a huge revenue stream for them as a content provider even if it's on another piece of hardware.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And in January, the post-Christmas earnings report led to a 10 percent one-day drop in Amazon's stock price (since recovered, and then some). At that time, the too-low price of the Fire was cited as a factor.

Here's more on the Kindle Fire being a loss leader -- there was a report in November that Amazon spent $201 to build every Kindle Fire that was priced at $199. By contrast, Apple spent $326 on the iPad2 and sells it at $499.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/11/amazons-199-kindle-fire-costs-20170-to-build-report-says.html

They're probably going to make more money by promoting the Kindle App on the iPad or other tablets.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How many of you that have the Fire have signed up for Amazon Prime?

Draft saved Draft deleted