1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kinda screwed over on a car, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Jul 3, 2008.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

My sister just had a similar experience when buying a Honda Fit (it was a trade with another dealer and the other dealer sold it after promising it to her dealer). Her dealer got her another car and made everything right; you should demand your dealer do the same.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Exactly. And don't just threaten to walk, threaten to walk and to make as much noise about it with the BBB as possible. And it never hurts to mention that you're a reporter -- just freaks some people out.

The Versa is a very high-demand car right now, but in general dealerships are desperate for business right now (I just landed a new car for almost $10K under sticker). These guys should make it right, and if they don't, call competing Nissan dealerships, tell them your story and see if they'll match the deal.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Sounds like the exact same situation. And the car I was buying (the Versa) is actually Nissan's version of the Fit.

4. amraeder

Cool, good advice. I thought about throwing the "reporter" thing around, but haven't yet. Don't quite feel good about doing it.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The amraeder family at the Nissan dealership:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually, take your laptop with you to the dealership and have the GM and saleman sign onto this thread. We'll take it from there.....

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That would be a bad move, unless they ask. You start writing the story, they hint at pulling advertising.

Capt. Kirk's idea works the best

8. amraeder

See, that's what all the dealers were telling me. I went shopping on Sunday, which just happened to be the very end of the month. They all said the rebates were very, very likely to be gone on the low-end cars and move over to trucks and suvs this month.

And I didn't pay sticker. The salesman told me they have a 12,000-mile used 2008 versa in stock, looked up the bluebook on the used and it was more than I paid for the new car.

9. amraeder

Haha, yeah, Kirk's idea was a good one.

In other news, no one's called me back yet.... I wish I could drive in and put in some face time, but it's in the opposite direction of work, so I just can't swing it today.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

DON'T do this . . . you don't know if the dealership owner is a buttbuddy of your publisher. You can easily lose your job by doing something like this!

Now, for the dealer--I assume you've got paperwork, etc., saying you bought a car. Go to the dealer and wait until they get the manager for you. Don't be aggressive, but be loud. "I'm looking for the general manager because you didn't get me my car." You can say it loudly and clearly, but don't threaten or do anything like that or they'll just call the cops. Also, contact Nissan's zone manager. If you have to, call Nissan headquarters and find out who it is. Tell him or her what happened.

EDIT to account for your last post: You need to do this quickly, perhaps calling in sick today. If you let this go too long, you'll miss out. There's no chance the manager will be there tomorrow.

11. amraeder

A) "Buttbuddy" is a good word.

B) I rejected the "reporter" thing as soon as it entered my mind. It just didn't seem ethical to us my position to try and get good deeds (though, your and slappy's reasons are even better ones not to do it).

C) I didn't even know there was a zone manager. So that's good advice.

Again, thanks for all the help. Like I said, first time so I really don't know what I'm doing.

I'm going to go for a really quick run, but I'll check back after that, so feel free to keep the good stuff coming.

Please.

Thank you again.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Did you actually make a down payment -- i.e., financed this car -- or just put a deposit down on the car? If it's the latter, you didn't actually buy the car. How much paperwork have you actually done with the dealer?

Draft saved Draft deleted