1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kill your idols: The Godfather

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Apr 14, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't know how George Carlin- or any of the actual talented people he worked with on more than one movie- put up with him and his bullshit.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It has nothing to do with being jaded. Nothing at all.
    It has to do with being able to assess something honestly.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You seem to have a real ax to grind about the guy.
    Did he nab your parking space or cut in front of you in line some place?

4. 3_Octave_Fart

It has to do with being able to assess something honestly.
    I'm not in the habit of pumping up art that sucks.
    And I mean no disrespect- but it sounds like you sort of just grew old. Star Wars lovers never really have.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can understand somebody not liking Kevin Smith's work. No question there.
    But wondering how people put up with 'him' and 'his bullsh#t' seems to go beyond not like his work. It seems to indicate a personal dislike of the guy.

As honest assessment, I was using that really as refutation of the claim that I was 'jaded.'
    I don't think I'm jaded with regard to 'Star Wars.' I just think I can draw a distinction between a good movie and a bad movie, even when I love the bad movie.
    My childhood attachment to 'Star Wars' doesn't really offer any reflection of it's objective aesthetic worth.

Did I get old? Well, I was 7 when 'Stars Wars' came out, and I'm 44 now.
    I'm more than halfway through the average American male life expectancy. That probably qualifies as old.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

I dislike gimmicky/puerile comedy that dresses up as cultural/intellectual poignancy, yes.
    For a guy who considers himself and is considered by his fans a great writer, he shockingly seems out of things to say.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I agree with you on the latter portion of the second point: He is out of things to say and has been for quite some time.
    I don't think he was ever a great writer. I think the in the case of 'Clerks' in particular he was simply being observational of certain element and mood within his surroundings. However, I don't think it's any more true of people at that time in Red Bank, NJ, than I think the dialogue of 'Seinfeld' was illustrative of the average dialogue among people in Manhattan.

I would never say that 'Clerks' was poignant, culturally, intellectually or otherwise.
    Puerile? Maybe.
    Gimmicky? I think that's looking at it out of context.

I certainly don't think Smith has real broad. I'm still surprised he struck any sizable chord with 'Clerks.'
    That so many people responded well to 'Dogma' is even more surprising, although probably more a result of the movie's anti-religiosity than any inherent quality of entertainment itself.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

Thank u for the explanation.
    I like Comic Book Men more than any of the other dreck he's produced.
    His persona grates as much as ever, but at least it's actually about comic books.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

You and I simply have very different tastes.
    I've watched that show several times. I've wanted to like it, but I just don't.
    It's tries too hard to be animated and lively, but instead comes off so scripted and forced.
    Smith in particular comes off very unlikeable on that show.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

If we wanted to watch a no-nonsense show about comic books without hamfisted scat humor and references to drug use, then we have a few of the same tastes.
    F-k, I'm a guy with a handle that references a musical fart and I can't even appreciate Smith's jejune mind.
    And let's be real- Comic Book Men was to give nerds watching Walking Dead a lift and sustain ratings in the succeeding time slot- and do so as cheaply as possible.
    Richard III it ain't.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not a comic book guy, but I loved comics as a kid. I find the industry and the collecting aspect interesting.
    I would watch well done show about comics.

Tell you what I'd watch, something akin the interview portion of Guitar Center Sessions or Off Camera with Sam Jones.
    Make it 30 minutes, because you wouldn't have the musical interludes of Sessions and because Off Camera is too long.
    Thoughtful, researched interviews with people in the comics field - writers, artists, publishers, collectors, dealers, high-profile fans.

I would watch that show.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kevin Smith's influence on "The Godfather" was a disaster.

::) ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted