1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids off to college anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Aug 20, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

85 percent move back in, right?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Before you start as a freshman, you have six weeks of "Beast Barracks," which we could see going on while we toured campus. So the goodbye is before college even technically starts.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

It's not that expensive to change the locks.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Another golf buddy of mine tells the story of his son, from his first marriage, giving the mother some above-average teenager torment. My friend, a former college basketball player, gave the kid the option of straightening the hell out (and going through some extended period of penance, etc.) or going in the Army. Kid says, "To hell with that, I'll go in the Army. So, he went through all the preliminaries, at each stage asking "Can I still back out?" Finally, he looked at a door and asked, "If I walk through that door, can I still back out?", to which the response was, "You go through that door, there's no backing out." The son paused and said, "OK, Dad, I'll straighten out."

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was in my 20s during the 1990s, and it seemed like more that 80 percent of the people in my age group spent time living at their parents house after college.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm still unemployed and fighting for disability for my spinal problems. Truth be told, if I didn't freeload off my wife I would have moved back with my parents about 18 months ago. I'm well out of college, too.

7. CHETtheJET

CHETtheJET Member

Son and daughter return for sophomore year. 2 different schools other side of the state. 7-8 hour drive. I can't wait to get my wife and life back. No tears here. House is not big enough for 4 adults. It was chaos all summer. They play sports varsity sports and I love seeing them on weekends after games. Perfect.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

If you love and enjoy your kids -- and I assume that's most of us -- you can't help but miss them. Still, if you choose to look at this as an opportunity, like more of your time is your own, it can be a great positive. There are still things Mrs. Novelist and I want to share with our kids, but there are things we want to do together before we get too old, too.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Overview of the Pew research - http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/08/01/a-rising-share-of-young-adults-live-in-their-parents-home/ - only mentions a short segment through 2007.
    When I get a chance, I'll be interested to skim through the full report. It says 56 percent of 18- to 24-year-olds live with their parents. That just doesn't seem that high to me looking back through my experience. I was 18 in 1988.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

At the Air Force Academy they used to play Christmas music when the cadets arrived, as a reminder that they wouldn't be seeing their families until then.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Washington Post's Michael Gerson wrote a very nice column on this topic:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/michael-gerson-saying-goodbye-to-my-child-the-youngster/2013/08/19/6337802e-08dd-11e3-8974-f97ab3b3c677_story.html

He is experiencing the adjustments that come with beginnings. His life is starting for real. I have begun the long letting go. Put another way: He has a wonderful future in which my part naturally diminishes. I have no possible future that is better without him close.

Don't know if I'd go that far, it seems like a lot of people use the opportunity by re-engaging work or finding another volunteer or social outlet, but check back in with me when my eighth-grader is a high school graduate. Another thing mentioned in Gerson's column is that the biggest source of kids' anxiety is that their bedroom will turn into something else -- as much as they want to travel the world and experience everything, they still want that place where they belong.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just my opinion, but I think the worst thing parents can do is have their kids commute to college from home. I know it's different if they're at a JC, but I think the most important aspect of college was getting out of the nest and living on your own.

Draft saved Draft deleted