1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids foods that you still love

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BB Bobcat, Jul 2, 2010.

1. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Hot Dogs.

Not the healthiest food on the planet but still a treat.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When you guys say "Mac & Cheese" you're talking about the one Kraft makes, right?

We call it "Kraft Dinner" up here, or "K-D" for short. Apparently Canadians, per capita, eat more of that crap than any country in the world. Something to be proud of.

3. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I had never had ramen until I spent a week in Nanchang, China with my wife and a 15-month-old we had taken into our lives that week, with my culinary options being whatever I could heat up with water or the uber-expensive hotel restaurant.

Me: "I can't believe we can feed the three of us for 40 cents. I'm going to have to keep buying this stuff."

My son loved it ... then. I had visions of super-cheap food dancing in my head. Then, we got home ... and he stopped eating it.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Son of a bitch!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The only kid food I ever ate was pigs in blanket and I do still indeed love them.

Y'all ate a lot of sugared cereal as kids. My teeth hurt just reading this thread.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Ah, the Fruity Pebbles. Love them. I don't much care for Cocoa Pebbles, though.

7. Seconded.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Trix. Trix are for kids. BS.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My college buddy only eats kids' food; if he does order adults' food, he puts ketchup on it like some 8-year old would do. He doesn't eat vegtables, pastas or most meat. He basically loves hot dogs, chicken fingers and mac and cheese.
    He's also very excited his 2-year old daughter is eating the same food he likes.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

These people scare me. I have a 7-year-old son who is very picky. I'd hate to think he may not outgrow it.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The theory I've heard is that kids' taste buds are hypersensitive, so they tend to gravitate toward foods with blander tastes. As we age, our taste buds become less sensitive, which means we tend to crave stuff with more powerful flavors (and become less picky eaters).

Unfortunately for me, I've never really outgrown the "hyperactive taste bud" stage, and although my palate is significantly greater than it was when I was 12, I am still a pretty picky eater (and significantly pickier than my toddler). My wife says that she has two lunch rotations -- one for the winter (when I'm working during the day) and a significantly more-restricted one for the summer (when I'm home).

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's true. But it's not always a matter of "outgrowing" it. You could simply have a high distribution of taste buds that make "tasty" foods seem revolting. That's my excuse, anyway. My reaction to borscht, for example, is more than a simple, "I don't really like this." It's practically vomit-inducing for me (as are garlic rolls and parmesan cheese). Other people savor these things.

Apparently there is a test to see what kind of taster you are. I've never taken it, but here it is:

Place some dark blue food coloring on the tip of your tongue. On a piece of paper, punch a standard three ring binder sized hole. Place the paper on your tongue. Count the number of little dots that you see inside the hole. On average, supertasters (picky eaters) have 35, average tasters have between 15 and 35, and non-tasters have less than 15. Or, if you know a biology teacher, ask for a PTC paper. Supertasters have a gene that allows them to taste the bitterness of a chemical called PROP (propylthiouracil). If you place the PTC paper on your tongue and you taste bitterness, you know you are a supertaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted