1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids beat Mexican to death

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/25/immigrant.killing.ap/index.html

I'm sure the Lou Dobbs and Howie Carrs of the world might say these kids did everyone a public service, one less drunk driver (as if illegal immigrants were the only people who drove drunk), one less person in the emergency room, etc.
    I think people are getting a little too worked up about the immigration issue.
    But I could be wrong.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

CNN is part of the liberal media. You should take nothing it says seriously.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

See, when I lived in Texas I figured they would hate Mexicans, being on the border and all. But in reality, they all got along pretty well.

Instead, it has been since I left Texas and gone farther north that I've noticed the fear of Mexicans.

It's weird, really.

It's like the White Stripes said:

"Well, Americans:
    What, nothin' better to do?
    Why don't you kick yourself out?
    You're an immigrant too."

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

My best friend, who is black, feels the same way about Northerners. He said he's never encountered more racism than when he's visited states above the Mason-Dixon.

5. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Lou Dobbs is a great, great man who should run for president.

6. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Of course, Lou has no intention of it as he makes a nice living making people think he's for the regular people and in doing it the way he does it, never will have to worry about being accountable to his constituency.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The Boston Globe ran a feature a few months ago about his daughter, who's an accomplished young equestrienne (in addition to being a Harvard student). Good for her, of course, but it does make Daddy's faux populism look a wee bit contrived, eh?

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/articles/2007/11/03/over_the_top/

8. Small, I must have missed it. Where does the story say anything about drunk driving?

9. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I agree. I lived in a segregated northern city for a long time.

And the racism was palpable...particularly from blacks toward individuals of Middle Eastern descent.

10. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Hmm, I seem to recall being on the receiving end of a frothing-at-the-mouth rant around these parts because I dared paraphrase a black person's views on racism in different regions.

As for these kids, one can imagine the fun that awaits them in prison. Justly deserved, I'm afraid.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about this specific guy, just how people like Howie Carr seem to think everytime someone with an Hispanic name is arrested for DWI, it must be an illegal and how he pulls numbers out of his ass ("Every day xx people are killed by illegal aliens driving drunk") to make his point.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Who is Howie Carr?

Draft saved Draft deleted