1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kid kicked off basketball team for hair

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

WWJNOAMD? (What would Joachim Noah or Adam Morrision do?)

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Teen-kicked-off-basketball-team-for-hairstyle?urn=highschool-304424

I'll kick you out of my home off of my team if you don't CUT THAT HAIR! (Story actually has a Beastie 'fight for your rights' reference.)

No mention if there's a 3 tattoo limit.....

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Cut your damn hair hippy.

Like it or not, coaches have dress codes. Many coaches make players wear ties on game days. Should that be banned?

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

They post this story with a huge photo OF THE COACH under the headline and no photo at all of the crazy-haired kid? Fail.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

It's a junior high team. It's very likely there's no photo of the kid for access on the Web. Plus, there's that posting a photo of an underage boy thing.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't we post and publish photos of underage kids all the time? Otherwise, what am I taking all these damn mugshots for at the start of every season?

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Complete crock that a coach really thinks his hair policy is that important. In extreme cases, if need be, see if he'll tie it up. Maybe.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Another opportunity to remind myself that I will never argue with a kid over his hair length. There will be many other fights to pick.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Goddamn it, I thought we fought this battle 40 years ago.

[​IMG]

Does not approve.

Apparently the school board wants to mandate mullets.

[​IMG]

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I recall hair and dress code when I was a kid. I think its a reflection of the permissiveness going around.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Obviously, so does the coach. Much, much bigger fights to pick than this one.

Starman, you can't ask the world to evolve, think and move forward. That's just too much.

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Difference between your publication taking the photo for a purpose and just doing a Google image search and citing the source. It's an extremely gray area legally with minors ... at least in Colorado.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When I was a freshman in HS, 1972, we had an all-state linebacker who had hair down to his WAIST. Yes, his waist. This was in the early days of the real hippie era -- waist-length hair was still a bit unusual.

He wore it in a ponytail that hung down over his number in the back.

The coach was a hardcore-fundamentals guy who stayed there almost 35 years before retiring about 6-8 years ago with a career WL percentage of about .800. He said, "what you do with your hair is your own problem, as long as you keep it clean you can do whatever you want."

He did require kids to "dress up" on game days -- either shirt/ties or dress sweaters.

He used to get asked about the ponytail kid, "aren't people going to grab his ponytail?" He said, "Yeah. They try it once."

Draft saved Draft deleted