1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kickin' It Ooooooold School

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Feb 25, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

They were a local band in the Phoenix area when I went to school there. They were such a part of the Sir Charles/Suns hoopla that my CD of theirs has a basketball on it.

If I remember correctly, the backbone of the group was a guitarist who had some personal issues. He was out of the band after the first album, and this was the end of the great songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Hopkins

Wikipedia backs up my memory. Sad story about him if it is true. [/trustwikiabout95percentofthetime]

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The story is true about Hopkins. The thing is, I thought the songs on their second album were just about as good. But the album didn't sell much and they were pretty much done after that.

They're back together now trying again, but I don't think the comeback is going to stick. I saw them in the summer of 05 and 06. The 06 show, the sound was just way too loud and you couldn't even make out what the hell the song was supposed to be.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Their song off Empire Records is outstanding.

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Til I hear it from you.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thanks. I thought it was that song but I wasn't completely sure if it was from ER or from NME.

6. old_tony

I also stand corrected on their second CD. It did sell 1.5 million, but that was a disappointment after New Miserable Experience sold over 3 million.

It amazes me that a 1.5-million-selling disc can be a disappointment. It also had a Grammy nomination.

7. Clever username

Pearl Jam's No Code only sold 500,000 copies. Might be their best album. What can you do?

8. old_tony

How many thousands of bands out there do you think would kill for a 500,000-seller?

9. Clever username

All of them. I'm just saying any time a band has an album that doesn't sell as well or even nearly as well as its best-selling one, it's considered a disappointment.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then all bands nowadays suck balls, eh?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pretty much Tomas.

Hell, I bet selling 1.5 million records in a calendar year would get you into the top 20 for the year...if not the top 10.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd like to say i'm shocked.

Draft saved Draft deleted