1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kick a Ginger

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KG, Nov 21, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081121.wred21/BNStory/National/home

I haven't heard of this elsewhere, but it's so mean.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This could be the stupidest part of the entire thing:

Rob Frenette, an anti-bullying advocate in New Brunswick, says he was shocked when he found out about the group.

“We are very taken back that students would pick a certain group of people to harass due to their hair colour,” he said.

Isn't that what bullies do? at least that's the kind of bully I grew up with. They find some reason that a kid is different, any reason often encredibly mundane, and then use it against him. They could be fat, skinny, tall, blonde, have tight curly hair, they could be uncoordinated, rich, poor, live in trailoer park, come from good home, cheer for the wrong team, or hell even just be new.

This fucking Anti-bullying advocate needs to find a new vocation, because he clearly doesn't have a clue as to what he is talking about.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So cruel...

[​IMG]

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My rant aside, I actually saw that episode, and laughed my ass off.

I can't really say I am surprised though that a bunch of 12 and 13 year-olds were stupid enough to do something like they did. For those that made a 'pact' to follow through on this shit, they should all be expelled or suspended severely. Hell, hold them back a grade at the very least, because they are so obviously not ready to continue to move on with the rest of society. For those that actually did follow through, charge each and everyone of the little bastards, send 'em all to juvy for a year or two.

5. OK, but, somehow, the anti-bullying guy is wrong?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The anti-bullying guy is always wrong, Fenian. I want next Tuesday to be "Kick the anti-bullying guy" day. Who's with me?

Seriously, I sort of laughed at that "punch a jew" thread a few weeks ago, because I thought it was an isolated incident of some stupid 11 year olds who needed to be slapped around by their parents. But I just thought about this a bit more and this kind of stuff is a bit scarier to me. There is this human need to bully. Look throughout history and you have endless bullying on a grander and more serious scale: crusades and slavery and the holocaust and apartheid and endless things where someone is bullying others, often with cruel and dire consequences.

I don't want to overstate concern about a story about a bunch of kids acting like idiots, but maybe I need to be a bit more sensitive. I probably shouldn't read a story like that and immediately go with my "laugh it off; make a joke" instinct. Maybe the nastier adult stuff percolates with the stupid, cruel juvenile stuff.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He's not wrong.

But he is an idiot.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If it's ever Kick a Mary Ann Day, I'm going ballistic.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Thank you.

in regards to his comment, it would be like a, let's see here, a sports reporter showing up to cover a hockey game and being surprised to see it being played on ice.

10. Well, I think the it's-business-as-usual-whaddya-expect? line of thinking is pretty much what keeps this violent nonsense going on. If the anti-bullying guy wants to work to change that paradigm, well, I'm with him. It's better than simply getting tough in the aftermath.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Let's not forget kill a n-word day. I do recall that being supported by the hateful.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You can kick this ginger all day for all I care...

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted