1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KHL team involved in Russian plane crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Huggy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Sadly, that Salei story is false. He was on the plane.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Crap. I hoped there'd be one bright spot. AFP sucks as a wire service.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Anyone want a good cry?

http://achicksperspective.wordpress.com/2011/09/07/reality-check/

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I was just about to post that too. Yep, I cried.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do NFL teams still split rosters and fly on separate planes?

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Strange that Skrastins' family was still in Dallas. I wonder if he was trying to hook on with an NHL team for this season.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

A story I read on Salei said that his wife (3 kids) is from Orange County. He was going to play 1 or 2 more seasons in Russia then retire and settle down in Orange County, participating in the Ducks Alumni Assn. Very sad.

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

My experience is no, they put everyone on a single charter.

terrier - my guess would be that they might want their kids in American schools rather than Latvian or Russian ones, but that's only a guess.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Granted, I'm in and out on broadcast coverage of this tragedy due to work but from what I have seen/heard, the lack thereof in the States is disturbing.

Little taken aback by a photo I saw somewhere of a dead body being hoisted up the riverbank. Shirtless corpse, strapped in, lying face down. But, it certainly impacted me.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

A few years ago I had also heard that the Russians liked their families in North America due to crime/kidnapping concerns.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Totally predictable, though.

If it had been an American football or baseball team, the coverage would be so far over the top and teams of screenwriters would already have the first draft of the script completed.

Hollywood won't film Bill Barilko's story, for instance, because the producer who owns the movie rights won't agree to turn him into a baseball player who hits a ninth-inning grand slam home run before he disappears. That's a fact.

Draft saved Draft deleted