1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

KHL team involved in Russian plane crash

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Huggy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Given the crap Russian planes you hear about, this was sadly inevitable.
    Something for guys to think about if the upcoming contract talks go bad and the KHL becomes a possibility.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

The Russian President had committed to getting all of the Soviet era aircraft out of the air starting next year.

It will be interesting to see what is reported as the cause of the crash as the last crash of a Soviet era plane was blamed on pilot error.

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Puck Daddy is referencing a report from Russia Today which says that the only player who survived is Alexander Galimov, but that he has burns to 80 percent of his body: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Report-Lokomotiv-player-survives-KHL-team-plane;_ylt=ApAZMIYOJ.S5aWOup1WmG1UmvLYF?urn=nhl-wp12011

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Word now is maybe he did not survive? Anybody see anything definitive?

5. DK

DK Member

Golly. Some big names on that roster. And watched Brad McCrimmon play a lot. RIP.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He was in first year as a coach too, so he probably hadn't coached a game yet. (Not sure when the KHL season begins though). He had been assistant to Babcock last year.

KJim, I don't think Liv ever made the Wings' roster. Or if he did, he only dressed as the backup and never saw action.

Sad news.

7. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

According to this: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-stars/headlines/20110907-former-stars-player-karlis-skrastins-dies-in-russian-plane-crash.ece, it wasn't a Soviet Era plane though (at least, I wouldn't consider 1993 a Soviet-Era plane).

As a Stars fan, I'm obviously struck by the loss of Skrastins, who was a solid player but a super nice guy with a young family.

Moddy - I keep seeing two reports about survivors, the one player and possibly a flight attendant. But given how seriously they have to be injured, I would not be surprised if they've died after the fact.

8. DK

DK Member

Reports say crash also claimed assistant coaches Alexander Karpovtsev (former New York Rangers defenseman) and Igor Korolev (Toronto Maple Leafs and Chicago Blackhawks).

The opening day of the season was today.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

One of the Russian hockey sites is reporting the plane was deemed too unsafe to fly in EU zones.

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

That would be... wow.

Now, given the rumor-mongering of some of the Russian hockey sites, I'm not sure I entirely believe this yet. But if it's true, just wow.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The likelyhood of surviving with 80 percent burns is very low.

RIP to all. And I can't help but think of that Seinfeld episode where they talk about how, with all the pro teams flying around, you never hear of a plane crash. Shit, shit, shit.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If he has burns over 80 percent of his body chances are he won't survive.

Draft saved Draft deleted