1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Key West trip thoughts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 1, 2012.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

One of my life's rules is: Nothing good ever comes from fishing. (But still, Key West is a great places for a couple of days.)

2. A drive down to KW would be doable. A drive back would be a push.
    Is traffic pretty heavy?

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I only did it once, and it wasn't bad. I'm pretty sure it ebbs and flows with time of year and whether or not a storm is coming in.

4. Option B for this year's trip is NYC in December, for a long weekend.
    I have been to NYC a handful of times and LOVE it. Not the touristy shit, like Times Square, just the city. I love to go.
    Saw a Broadway Show (Wicked) and was blown away hooked.

I could totally go back. Wife too, as she loves to shop.

No. 1, who's 9, also wants to go - anywhere. He's been begging to go Jackson Hole (there is conference there but it is way, out of our price range). I don't think KW would be a kid-friendly.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

NYC at Christmastime is aces. Kids like Christmas decorations, and just looking at the store window displays is a pretty great free show if the weather's not miserable.
    Hotels in NYC in December are not cheap, however.

6. Don't go to Key West!

How is the old lady going to get her freak on at the conference with you tagging along?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Don't forget that every major motel chain in America has a presence in NYC. Not like staying at the Red Roof or the Motel 6 out by the overpass, but you can save hundreds of dollars a night. Also lots of places like this: http://www.acc-tutuconferencecenter.com

8. Really? Why? Because of the shopping season?

9. Funny, that's what she said!

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Exactly what we did, and I believe it's the best way to experience Key West.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

We took our then 10 year old daughter to KW on a day trip while gravy training at tremendous beach house somewhere areound Isladora. The freak show quotient was low so it was more boring than anything else (we were also only there during the day and obviously not bar hopping.)

It struck me as having that false note to it that others have noted. I wouldn't take kids but if I had the opportunity to go there again I would hit it up.

FWIW we greatly enjoyed our time in Jackson Hole.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Key West is no place for kids or respectable adults.

Draft saved Draft deleted