1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Key West trip thoughts?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 1, 2012.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

If CB is amenable to being the trip-planning partner, you really need to avail yourself of that option. :)

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You will love life all the way from Miami to Key West. Mile by mile.

However, that does work in reverse as you return from paradise.

Get yourself one of the hotels at the far end of Duval Street, down by the southernmost point. Take the walk up Duval Street when you're ready to start your day, or after lounging at the pool for a little while.

You get down to the busy section and just bar-hop for 10 hours. And if you don't feel like walking back to your hotel at 1 a.m., hire one of the rickshaws driven by college students looking for extra money. Just hail one like a cab and relax, pay the guy $20 or so for his trouble.

Last time down, I found this sports bar called Balls. It was like a big airplane hangar. The bartender was a lineman at South Florida, talked football with me for three hours. And the adjoining pizzeria had a window on the far side of the bar, so if you wanted to buy one, you just walk over there and they call you over to pick it up when it's ready.

And let's not forget the drag queens on the street corners, trying to talk you into coming in and checking out the show. Cool as hell.

In case you haven't noticed, I kind of love Key West.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I left out the part where I stopped midway to sleep another hour with the car running and the A/C going full blast while creepily parked behind a gas station.

Pretty sure I'm not allowed to be such a dumbass on vacations any longer.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

You sure that was a sports bar?

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

And if you really want to get drunk and have a good time with a bunch of cruise passengers and co-eds, go to Irish Kevin's. We had a ton of fun there listening to the live music/banter, even during the day.
    And Patrick's (I think) is a pretty solid strip joint if you can ditch the wife for a bit.
    Man, This is making me really want to head down there. Maybe this summer.

6. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

A blind, menstruating, drug-addicted beaver suffering from amnesia, multiple personality disorder and irritable bowel syndrome could plan a trip better than YG.

Shit gets weird with that guy.

:D

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It appears they've changed the name of the place to Big 'Uns. Still pretty good.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I hit one of those in the rental car. Really fucked up the grille.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Hello?

Buy the wife the lap dance, and then head back to your hotel room.

Kids today ...

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Gonna take the contrary. Not a fan. To me, feels like a shitty version of New Orleans. People want to party, but there is a false air to it. Kind of "hey, let's party, woo hoo, oh my life is sad" feel. Vividly remember being in some bar and on one side was a shitty cover band doing Champagne Supernova while on the other was a cubby (not kate upton) stripper trying to work the pole. The whole scene feels faked. And don't eat a poi boy there....taste like crud.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

poi boy?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The reality of Key West is that if you're not a degenerate or at least don't enjoy occasionally playing one for a few days, it's not worth it.

Draft saved Draft deleted