1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Key to the safety of women and children? Married men

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jun 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Washington Post with an interesting report. The numbers indicate that married women and the children of parents who are married and living under the same roof are much, much, much safer than women and children in single-woman or single-woman-living-with-boyfriend households.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/06/10/the-best-way-to-end-violence-against-women-stop-taking-lovers-and-get-married/

Yet a certain segment of society (rhymes with "theft") keeps telling us how husbands and fathers are simply not necessary.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In the real world this is well-known and very old information, but it may be new to you since I'm not really sure what world you live in.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

having spent a number of years prosecuting domestic violence, sex offenses and child abuse cases and being very good friends with similar prosecutors and law enforcement officers I can say, categorically that the two dirtiest words in the english language are " mommy's boyfriend'

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Tony, you could have made the point without violating the board policy regarding politics.

Silly me. Of course you can't. You just don't have it in you.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I agree. I cannot fathom how some men can cheat on their spouses in the knowledge that they're increasing the chance that some other man is going to be around their kids full-time.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The lower rate of abuse among married couples has a whole lot more to do with socioeconomic status than marital status.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It never ceases to amaze me the cottage industry revolving around deflecting blame from the truly guilty parties.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wouldn't more women be less inclined to marry an abusive boyfriend as opposed to a non-violent one?

9. old_tony

This is just a fantastic point.

There should be a PSA along these lines.

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I think men do settle down when they're in a marriage but a wedding band isn't magical. A violent, abusive prick isn't going to turn into a calm, mature guy just because he's been to the altar.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also, this. Yet another think piece about violence against women that puts the onus for preventing that violence on the victim.

12. old_tony

True. The No. 1 indicator of a child in poverty is a single mother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.