1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kevin Spacey - What Are You Doing?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LanceyHoward, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Not gonna lie. If Spacey loses his mind and decides to become Frank Underwood, that'd be a hell of a documentary that I'll watch tomorrow.

2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Spacey is definitely one of the best actors of his generation, but I don't see any way he ever revives his career. There are some things you can never come back from — and never should — and his is one.

Almost every time I see his face, though, I think of the profile of him by Tom Junod in Esquire.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

What’s the last, interesting profile that was published in a major magazine that created buzz? Outside of a Princess Meghan or a Venus one in Vogue, I can’t recall any. Journalism truly is dead.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When you think of deep magazine profiles are any of the ones people remember flattering?

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

I don't think Heather Unruh will ever quit.

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

9. AD

AD Active Member

reasons, tigervols, why the mag profile is on life support:

1) money. The New Yorker aside, no one has the money to plant someone with a subject for a month, especially if clicks can't be guaranteed.
    2) access. a publicist's job used to entail drumming up pub, running interference, and judging whether it was worthwhile to grant access. now, with social media minefields and the possibility of a subject stepping in it, there is absolutely no upside. in fact, the only way a publicist/agent will possibly LOSE their job is if they DO grant access. Saying no is the safest course....

...especially because of 3) celeb/star athlete social media feeds. why surrender that control, especially when the media brand needs you more than you need it?

it's rarely mentioned, but this is why the final third of Gary Smith's career entailed writing almost exclusively about obscure people. the access for his type of deep-dive piece was already drying up in the 2000s. only high school and fringe sports and regular-folk-with-incredible-narrative offer the same kind of openness that might result in some truly, unfiltered human stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted