1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kevin Kennedy among 8 who subdue man on plane

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/04/23/kevin-kennedy-subdues-man-threatening/

Not sure how I'd react. I'd probably dive under the seat.

2. Gues#t

Gues#t Guest

Any one who's had a little training, military or police for example, should be prepared to help out in this type of situation. It's dicey when something sharp is involved. I always figured (before 9/11) if a guy had a knife, scissors or a boxcutter, I'd have to use a seat cushion to fend him off. But in a situation like that, you just figure you're going to be cut and try to limit it.

Kennedy's a big guy. Good for him.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OMG, I am booked on a Delta flight next week. Wonder if I can get a refund?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Why do you keep linking to FanHouse articles?

I keeeed, I keeeeed.

Great story.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

In a roundabout way, this reminds me of Bruce Matthews helping subdue the late Gene Hickerson on a flight to Hawaii. Big difference was Mr. Hickerson was well into his illness. What Brown, Mitchell and Kelly did for Mr. Hickerson at his hall of fame induction will always be a fond memory.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, I AM spending a lot of time there these days. And loving it.

In this case, though, I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Good for him. I hope a couple of the people gave the guy a few kicks while he was on the deck.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

After Kennedy subdued the guy, cops tortured him by making Jeannie Zelasko do the interrogation.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

yeah, the story was a little strange:

Obviously he wasn't exactly "subdued." Once you hear these words,

he gets beaten into absolute insensibility. The biggest heaviest MF on the plane stands straight on his collarbone and everybody else pounds his skull with heavy blunt instruments till he quits talking, and moving.

Bullshit on that. He ought to be on life support, at best. If they hauled him off the plane in a rubber bag that would be just fine, too.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm not usually one to defend the airlines... but how is it Delta's fault that an apparently unarmed man made threats on a flight?

Are they now supposed to give all passengers psychological screenings before they let them on the plane?

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I agree with the "no mercy" policy on assclowns like this. Even if he's just drunk talking, it's something you don't fuck with. You disable him as swiftly as possible. The medics or coroner can deal with him after the plane is safely on the ground.

The thing that scares me: What if a guy like this is a decoy to occupy everyone's attention while other operatives are actually doing something?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sad thing is this guy will probably turn around & sue the airline, Kennedy & the other people who subdued him.

Draft saved Draft deleted