1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kerry Wood -- Greatest what-if ever?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Unibomber, Jul 8, 2006.

1. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Cadet, Dan O'Brien went on to win an Olympic gold (in 1996) and set a world record. He was easily the better of the two and him being out of the way, Dave Johnson won a bronze. They did what they were supposed to do.

How many wins does Koufax have if he doesn't hang it up early?

Anyone remember Oklahoma running back Marcus Dupree?

Was Jim Carey a flash in the pan?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

He woulda been a keeper on fantasy league team before that terrible injury.

3. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Kenny Hubbs - Chicago Cubs second baseman. 

In 1962 when he was 20 years old, he won the NL ROY and the Gold Glove.  Set a then MLB record of 78 games and 418 chances without an error at second base.  Died February 1964 when he crashed his plane near Provo, Utah.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

What's up, Pierzynski? ;D

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Weaver,

I did a story on Edwards last year, his first 1,000-yard season in the pros since his rookie autumn. A solid guy who could be bitter but isn't. He figures that he could have still played in the NFL but was uninsurable. Maybe.

I love the Ike Ibeabuchi one. Tony Ayala would be another similar one.

Pitchers: Wayne Simpson with the Reds had a Bird-like career curve, Steve Busby was probably closest one to Kerry Wood and Score.

NFL: Gabe Rivera.

Basketball: Ernie D was Rookie of the Year with Buffalo but injuries wrecked him.

Hockey: Gord Kluzak, first overall pick, crippled with injuries. Michel Briere, great rookie season with Pittsburgh, killed in car accident. George Pelawa.

Track: Dr Delano Meriweather, a haematologist who was an AAU champ in the 100 even though he didn't start running until age 28 (and he ran in a bathing suit and a hospital shirt). Ran a windy 9.0 in yards one year. Mostly won indoors despite a start that looked like a drunken stagger. He might have set records that would still stand if he had been a high school and collegiate runner.

YHS, etc

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Can't believe we've gone this far without mentioning J.R. Richard. Yes, it could be argued that we've seen him at his peak, but that stroke in 1980, IMO, is the reason we don't see his plaque in Cooperstown today.

Also, a personal one for me is the namesake for a poster I have seen here for a while: Lyman Bostock. Broke out with the Twins, became a coveted free agent and signed with the Angels, and after a horrible start picked it up and had a decent season when he was shot to death that September. I always wondered how his career would have stacked up if not for that shooting.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Re: Kerry Wood -- Greates what-if ever?

We DEFINITELY saw Kerry Wood at his best possible, too.

Bo, IF Art Shell didn't have his head up his ass and had him sharing time, if he hadn't played baseball, and if he hadn't that bizarre injury....

Well, Emmitt would be second on the all-time NFL rushing list, by a long shot.

8. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Greg Cook:
    - 1969 AFL Rookie of the Year
    - Holds the single season record for yards per completion
    - career ending shoulder injury prior to his second season

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Gooden had a full career, didn't he.

To me, that's like putting Carlos Baerga on the list.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Huh?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Kerry Wood -- Greates what-if ever?

First two that popped into my mind

12. Anybody mention the Lions RB Billy Sims?
    Had one of the greatest runs in NFL history and was one his way to being one the all-time greats till he blew out his knee.

Draft saved Draft deleted