1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky fans upset with Jerry Tipton

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, May 9, 2008.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Fucking UK fans.

They're all upset over two 15-year-old "recruits" who recently "committed" to the school.

Holy cow.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Worst thing about UK: Big Blue Nation.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Incorrect.
    Worst thing about UK is that they are inthe state of Kentucky...

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with Kentucky (except, well, the mountains).

UK fans are a bunch of spoiled brats who figure they have a God-given right to an NCAA title every three years, even though Rupp himself couldn't bring that off.

5. LarryDavid

LarryDavid New Member

I worked at a weekly in Kentucky a few years back. Am still looking to meet the first rationale UK fan ...

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think you would need permission from the parents, because they would not have assumed the audio would be used.

7. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Eric,

Just speaking in hypotheticals here, but with all due respect, what would really be the point of asking a recruit's parents whether Gillispie's DUIs factored into their decision to attend Kentucky?

8. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Hypothetically, there wouldn't be much point, and those aren't questions I'd ask.

Returning to the actual world -- Tipton, by everyone's account, did not ask those questions. Parents of the recruits denied on the air -- despite being led in the other direction by a booster-host -- that Tipton had asked about any Gillispie rumors. The Herald-Leader, in its review of the interviews, found no discussions of those rumors.

Tipton's stories included nothing of those issues.

However, if the context of the conversation brought the subject into play, there'd be a point in pursuing it, just to see what was said.

That, by all accounts, didn't happen in this case, and there was no need for it to happen. I understand that this booster-host may have intimated or outright alleged otherwise, based on "off the record" or "pre-air" conversations. Whatever.

The interviews may have included touchy questions, but most good interviews do.

9. KYSportsWriter

Which channel in Lexington used a UK booster as a host for that show?

I'm guessing WKYT, and if it was them why in the blue hell wouldn't they have Rob do the segment?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Did he say TV and I missed it?

And no one has bigger boosters on their roster than WLEX. No one.

11. KYSportsWriter

Parents of the recruits denied on the air

Maybe it was on the radio. I don't know.

And if WLEX would get rid of a certain someone, they'd be just fine in my eyes.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, I assumed it was a call-in radio show.

Draft saved Draft deleted