1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Crash, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Exactly. Same in the midwest and a mid afternoon event on the left coast. People may actually plan their dinner or evening plans incorporating the Derby into it. Move it to the evening, and it will become a Sunday morning, 'well let me check who won the Derby' moment.

At that time slot, it's virtually unopposed from a sporting perspective. Move it to the evening, and it's up against an NHL playoff game, an NBA playoff game, a full slate of baseball and maybe a NASCAR race. Good bye Derby.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Interesting race to handicap.

A fair number of the lower-priced horses show early speed, but it's damn tough to win the Derby leading all the way.

I don't like the blinkers coming off Lookin at Lucky. I love Derby horses that will be passing horses in the stretch and Ice Box did that last time out, but that's the only time he's done that, so who knows what he's likely to do at a mile and a quarter; you probably figure he won't give the same kind of effort two times in a row. Super Saver looks like a very good value at 15-to-1. Devil May Care is coming off a good effort that was completely unexpected; blinkers on makes that a horse you might want to throw in your exotics. I'd expect Dublin to be right there with an eighth of a mile to go.

I won't have Stately Victor, Dean's Kitten, Paddy O'Prado or Homeboykris on any of my tickets unless the starter decides to give 'em a 20-second head start.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

So who's a mudder? And whose father was a mudder....

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Don't talk about my mudder.

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

paging trifecta to the white courtesy phone

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My brother likes Noble's Promise, Mission Impazible, Sidney's Candy and Dublin boxed under Lookin at Lucky.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

pardon me if this has been mentioned, but where is the usual hype for the Derby this year? I didn't even realize it was this weekend until I saw a promo on NBC last night.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

This is a weak year for the Derby field, Ryan. The normal buildup through the prep races didn't happen.

Anyway, I'm thinking of playing a lottery-style trifecta or superfecta. Just throw some random numbers in, box them and hope for a big payoff.

Otherwise, Lookin at Lucky to win.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Best mudder in the field unquestionably is Super Saver. Three others, Backtalk, Devil May Care and Mission Impazible, also show the ability to run well on a wet track.

I'm putting Super Saver and Ice Box as the primary horses in my trifectas.

Good luck to all.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The turf stakes races remain on the grass. The non-stakes grass races are off. No late scratches in the Derby, today.

Expect they'll have the main track sealed all day, just as in the year that
    Smarty Jones and Lion Heart played I love a parade. I hope I'm wrong.
    It makes the Derby a farce.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They did NOT run fast at all in the first race on the card. The inside speed
    got cremated in the lane. Watch and wait.

Draft saved Draft deleted