1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Crash, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Correct. And about damn time.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Eskendereya scratched by Pletcher due to some leg issues.

It's anyone's game. Pick some lucky numbers, boys and girls.

I sense some enormous exotic payouts!

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Funny. I've lived in Kentucky (just barely - I'm about 100 yards from the Ohio River) for almost 15 years. Have never been a big horseracing fan. But, I'm still relatively up-to-date on everything because of the clerk at the gas station up the street. I stop there about every other day for gas, a soda or a nosh. And the clerk, Karen, is a real old-time railbird. I once told her that I write sports, nevermind that it was college sports covering the U of Cincy. She latched onto "sports" and proceeds to give me all the low-down on the horses every time I stop in. So, in a roundabout way, I follow the horses. Would never have guessed it.

4. trifectarich

Make sure you ask Karen who she likes.

5. Crash

Crash Active Member

Damn. Eskie seemed like a real horse, and one that could potentially win the whole thing. I feel terrible for Pletcher, who after years and years, finally had "that horse" that he knew was a true Derby-winning type horse.

6. trifectarich

Pletcher could still win the thing. He might not have the favorite, but he's got at least a good shot with Rule and/or Super Saver and maybe even Discreetly Mine.

7. Crash

Crash Active Member

He definitely still could win it. But Eskie was the kind of horse that screams "Derby winner" at you, at least in the limited looks we've seen. Of course, he also could have gotten stuck in the 20-hole and had to make a Big Brown-like run out of the gate to win it. There are just so many factors that go into the Derby, especially with 20 horses, that nothing is given. Health is one of those factors. It's just a shame Eskie won't be participating.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My contact with the outside world is limited nowadays, but this news stunned me. Field appears open as can be... I'm excited.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Derby has definitely had some eye-popping payouts in recent years. I'm always game for a dollar tri box with numbers all but pulled out a hat.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's going to be some money to be made on Saturday....

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Rule's out, too, though he was working terribly and would have been a dead piece, had he entered the gate. Looks like Pletcher's filly may very well go,
    unless she draws a terrible post.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm going to bet on some horses for the first time in my life this weekend for two reasons.

1. My state passed a smoking ban that starts Saturday so I won't get cancer from going to the track.
    2. I need to learn for my trip to Vegas in a few weeks. I'll be there for the Preakness.

Draft saved Draft deleted