1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Agreed. If the track is anything but fast, Friesan Fire moves up and has to be considered. His top race came on a sloppy track.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'll walk over to OTB at lunch and box an exacta with Dunkirk and I Want Revenge. I'll also play a couple trifectas, adding Friesan Fire in one and Hold Me Back in the other.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You're a good man, trifecta. I've heard a lot of stuff about Papa Clem. A lot of handicappers are liking him, but he was blown out by Fresian Fire at Risen Star, yet it was a wet track.

4. trifectarich

If you have a chance to watch a replay of the Kentucky Oaks, do it.

Wow!

Rachel Alexandra (1-to-5 odds) won by . . . 20 and one-quarter lengths.

Just fabulous.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Good.

My mom drew her in a jackpot pool.

Cool.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If one were to wander up to Louisville tommorrow, in the middle of a nasty recession and a 50-50 shot at rain, what would he find grandstand tickets (NOT infield) selling for?

7. trifectarich

I've never experienced the street-corner ticket market for the Derby. The best thing about having a reserved seat is that you're covered in a lot of places if it does rain. The two times I had reserved seats I think the face value was $200; I don't think I'd pay more than $50, but as I said, I'm not familiar with typical selling points for this event. Good luck.

8. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

Tickets are $10. Rain ponchos are $200.

I think it's $50 general admission. Tickets under cover probably start at $200 to $300, but I would say you'd have a good shot of getting something for $100 or less. And just because it's general admission doesn't mean you have to go to the infield.

But it may get crowded up under the stands.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I hope they run her in the Breeders Cup Classic.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Vis a vis face values, this is without doubt the softest Derby ticket aftermarket in my adult life. And the weather picture isn't helping it at all.

11. trifectarich

Saturday's forecast for Louisville is 60 degrees and a 60 percent chance of rain. That certainly should contribute to a smaller crowd.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It'll be a very nice day -- Funny Cide-like -- if it doesn't rain. Good luck to 'em.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.