1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You should be able to get all you want on CC in the mid-high teens. GL.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Given that he's essentially never had genuine, honest-to-God dirt kicked in his face in his competitive life should give anyone pause . . . unless you think he's going to
    majestically steam to the lead and never look back. And if he does that, Baffert's
    the greatest trainer God ever made . . . and not even Bob would claim that, methinks.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I wouldn't be so sure. Baffert loves him some him.

And I love me some him. Mmmm.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Oh, the ego's there. It's part of what makes him so amusing.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Is it the Steve Martin hair?

6. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

If you believe in the Dosage Index/Dual Qualifiers, these four
    I don't know how much stock anybody puts in the Dosage Index/Dual Qualifiers. I don't know that I really do, but four horses in this year's field are dual qualifiers with Chocolate Candy (2.08) being one of them.
    According to the Thoroughbred Times' Web site, the others are I Want Revenge (3.00), Pioneerof the Nile (3.89) and West Side Bernie (1.80), who had the lowest.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Win Willy (possible ankle injury) not running in the Derby, says his trainer.

I'd really love to see a Derby with 15 starters as opposed to a race clogged up with half a dozen horses who are going to do nothing but get in someone's way and get beaten by 200 yards.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I've always thought it should be capped at 14 and not 20. Twenty is a joke.

9. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Seconded. I know it must be a thrill for the owner of a 40-to-1 horse to come out of nowhere and pick up a third-place check in the biggest race of the year, but if your horse has one lifetime win and it's in a maiden race a year ago, he ought to be running at Delaware Park, not Churchill Downs.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you're saying some horses aren't good enough for the Kentucky Derby ... or the Plain-Dealer?

11. Chocolate Candy is 14-1 as of this morning.

West Side Bernie is my surprise pick. Currently at 40-1 - he'll be worth at least a $20 spot to show.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Careful . . you're blowing away some of the great stories of the race if you play that way . . . the most prominent being Canonero II.
    Count Turf, too. And you think Giacomo gets into a one-gate field?
    I don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.