1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 138

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 1, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

My brother had Union Rags on top of almost all his tickets. I had slept on him becoming the hot pick, so I had no idea. He likes UR, Bodemeister, Dullahan and Alpha in some combination. With a few stragglers mixed in.

I'm finally going to devote myself to this this morning/early afternoon. I thought I'd avoid actual bets, but it's pulling me hard.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Gemologist over Dullahan

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Substitute Daddy Nose Best for Creative Cause, and this is pretty much me, and I know a handful of hip guys who like CC.

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I spent about an hour on youtube watching previous races of most of the horses. Bodemeister and Union Rags are clearly the cream of the crop to these eyes. Really like Bodemeister's power shown in the Arkansas Derby. The Gemologist hype is puzzling. Didn't look all that powerful in the Wood Memorial. Dullahan is going to be in the mix I feel. Hansen also impressed me.

I boxed a Bodemeister, Dullahan, Hansen trifecta, but I think they might finish in that order. Threw a couple of bucks at Take Charge Indy to win too.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think Sabercat might be a solid longshot (33-1 last I checked) to add into an exacta or trifecta. He's won or placed in 11 of 13 races and Corey Nakatani is running well this year with a .210 win percentage and nearly .500 top 3.

I like Union Rags and Gemologist for similar reasons ... strong horses, good jockeys (groundbreaking logic, I know). Castellano has the highest win pct. among jockeys in the race at .252 (well above his career pct. of .17).

Dullahan is solid, too, finishing top three in 12 of 14 races and Desormeaux riding.

I'll probably do several exactas with different combinations of these four.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

An utter steam bath down there, today, especially with 150,000+ hooman beanz.

My advice is to start drinking heavily.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dullahan to win. None of the exacta possibilities excite me.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Since when is Steffi Graf known as Stefanie Graf??

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I think that's what Andre Agassi referred to her as in his book.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

About 10 years?

Every since she got away from her crazy dad.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I got Take Charge Indy and Creative Cause. Both ways. We shall see.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm going 4, 5, 6, 10, 15 in a box.

Draft saved Draft deleted