1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 138

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 1, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well played, sir.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Hot brown fixings purchased.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

RE: Bodemeister. I don't see how a horse that never raced as a 2-year-old is going to deal with the madness of a 20 horse field and the crazy pomp of Churchill on Derby day.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm down to a six-horse box. And Union Rags is looking better and better.

5. For whatever reason, I can't get on the Union Rags bandwagon to win. I just don't see it. Of course, that's probably why I haven't picked the winner since Funny Cide in 2003. I like Dullahan and if you like a closer that's the horse for you, but I wonder if it'll just be too much distance to make up with a fast field like this. Really starting to lean toward I'll Have Another, and count me in on the Bodemeister by a length or two bandwagon.

I'll likely box Bodemeister, I'll Have Another and either Take Charge Indy or Union Rags in a trifecta

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Just got back from the jai-alai fronton; that's quite a clientele on a Friday night.

I'm all in on Union Rags. I've got him to win and on top of my exactas, trifectas, superfectas and daily doubles. If he doesn't win, I'll rip up every single ticket I have. If he does win, I'll need two things: a pen so I can fill out the IRS form, and a wheelbarrow to take all the money to my car.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Greatest Derby horse name ever.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Best wishes, tri.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Speaking of gray horses and good names . . . in terms of GOOD, GOOD Derby horses, still love Al Vanderbilt's son of Polynesian, out of Geisha . . . Native Dancer. Al could name 'em.

10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I feel like this is one of the toughest Derby fields to handicap in a long time. The biggest questions I'm wrestling with: Is there too much early speed in the race for horses like Bodemeister, Hansen, Take Charge Indy and Gemologist to prevail or will one or more of those horses change tactics? If there is a wet track, will it help those early speed horses like it did in Friday's Oaks?

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Too bad Hoof Hearted was only a quarter horse

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Take Charge doesn't need the lead.

Draft saved Draft deleted