1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky Derby 138

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, May 1, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I know. Good thing I'm broke and won't actually be betting. Just picking my winners/fake-betting with my dad. We each get $40 to "bet" and we figure out who came out ahead. :D

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I covered the Derby when I wore a younger man's clothes. To me, it feels much like boxing. An event where I feel I need to take a shower afterwards.

The Real Sports reporting on horse abuse a few years ago opened my eyes on an element I had concerns over. It is a brutal, bloody sport. One that I refuse to support in any way from here on out.

As a society, I think we should be better than this.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Few things are as pretty as a great Thoroughbred in motion. Few things are as ugly as a Thoroughbred in distress.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Pairing Bodemeister with Gemologist. Might bring in Take Charge Indy and box a triple, too.

5. imjustagirl

Yes.

And cran, looks like that would be my triple if I did one.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"To cause great destruction or harm to" is one of the definitions. I submit multi-horse wreck at the Derby would do just that.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The local sleazeball dog track (and its cousin to the south) got stripped of their simulcast rights for Saturday, which means I'm watching for amusement purposes only.

8. SellOut

SellOut Member

For entertainment purposes only. I'm a trifecta guy. And I'm a wuss so I box most things. I love Baffert and therefore I like Bodemeister, but there's so much early speed and I can't remember last time a horse won the Derby from the front.

3 Take Charge Indy – Borel on the rail with a good horse at his home track? I’ll take that.
    4 Union Rags – that sheet is too good to ignore and Leparoux is due a Derby, to be honest
    8 Creative Cause – like the money, little concerned about the jockey and with all the pace in the field, I like a closer.
    11 Alpha – like the fact his Beyer number has gone up in each of last three races.

9. imjustagirl

My mom LOVES Creative Cause, and I'm not making this up, because "They showed him on TV and he had his blinders on and they have a teddy bear on them!"

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Such strategies often pay off, particularly in a 20-horse crapshoot.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My mom likes Hansen. Guess why?

[​IMG]

Anyway, I just went over to Twinspires.com and paired Gemologist and Bodemeister for an exacta box, then added Take Charge Indy for a triple box.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I'll Have Another.

Draft saved Draft deleted