1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky beat writer, Louisville Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Creig Ewing, May 10, 2011.

1. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

I'm disappointed, but I can't say I'm surprised. Did Tucker live in Blacksburg year-round?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

3. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

The Pilot (and I'd imagine the other Landmark papers) are in a hiring freeze, so I presume that also means AP NASCAR coverage starting next year.

Tucker's coverage got far and away the most hits on their website, so I'm sure they would have hired someone to replace him if they could. Instead, they'll probably go to VT the way they do Virginia and to a lesser degree East Carolina, with spot columns and features and the occasional big game.

I'm going to go ahead and take credit for this, holding fast to the belief that my post caused the Pilot to reconsider their stance and break the hiring freeze for this position.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/85286/

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You wrote "Tucker's coverage" and I pictured suspenders and a few stains. Oh, and a van full of strangers.

5. Mystery Meat II

I think we have our first serious candidate!

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That would be awesome, dog.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Gameboy, Vicqual Hall will either be a total bust, or he'll win the Heisman Trophy.

8. Mystery Meat II

You're all a buncha big turkeys!

9. writingump

writingump Member

Love the Tucker McLaughlin talk on here. That guy's an original!

10. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

MM II,

Not sure about the hiring freeze.

KY and I work at a Landmark/LCNI daily. In a newsroom of 21.5, we've filled four full-time positions this year.

11. Mystery Meat II

LCNI is a different entity. I know the Pilot is under a hiring freeze, based on people who work there that told me. I guess the community papers aren't under the edict?

12. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

We're one of the few LCNI dailies (think the others are Carroll County in Maryland and Citrus County in Florida). We have left a news section reporter's desk vacant, but it's been that way for a while.

In the 11+ years I've been there (started when I was 18), the newsroom's numbers haven't changed much. Lost a part-timer (usually college-age) to help the copy desk, but that's no biggie considering most of what the part-timer did was scan photos (most are emailed now) and type in letters to the editor (again, most emailed). Copy desk is at 5 and has been that way for a while.

Always had 2 photogs (one day, one night). Always had 3.5 in sports (KY is the .5).

For every 1,000 readers, we average one full-time employee. Not bad.

However, many of the LCNI classifieds and ads for the weeklies now run through our shop, so they have been in hiring freezes.

As far as major editorial freezes in LCNI, I'm not aware of many.

That being said, don't have to worry about Tucker kicking our ass on the beat because we're no longer on the beat. Our Louisville (40 minutes away) and Kentucky (90 minutes) coverage has been cut to a minimum, so we're using straight AP stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted