1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kenny Mayne

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We appreciate it.

Been to Saratoga but never for racing. The Travers has been long been on my list of events I'd like to see.

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's never iffy if it's Griffey.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't know this for a fact, but my dad -- who lives three exits down I-87 from Saratoga -- was very possibly at the Travers today.

Given that, I can only extrapolate the following.

Outing alert: Chris_L is my dad.

And I'm with Moddy, Travers is a must-see someday. And one of the few sporting events Mrs. Bubbler would be equally enthused about.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think I'm going to go next summer.

When I'm rich and living the life of leisure, I plan to attend every day of the Saratoga meet.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Up until this thread, I watched those insurance commercials and said to myself, "Sure looks like Kenny Mayne. But it couldn't be Kenny Mayne."

6. Bubbler

That'll happen for me in 3017.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Craig Kilborn was the best SportsCenter anchor ever.

The show started to go downhill the second he left and it went down even further after Olbermann left... Patrick is good, but isn't nearly as effective without Olbermann next to him...

Mayne is occasionally funny, but most of the time he's annoying as hell... I used to think he was pretty good...

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

He can't dance and his act is stale. End of thread.

9. Bubbler

Thought I'd edit that for you.

Kilbourn would be a God among the current craptacular jokers they have doing SportsCenter, but at the time, I didn't think he was better than Olbermann. The way ESPN used him back then, he was no more prominent than Chris Myers, Mike Tirico or, gulp, Linda Cohn.

Clearly, Patrick needs Olbermann. Listen to their one hour of radio together, it's amazing how much Olbermann raises the level of that show. When he's not on, it's not very good.

Patrick reminds me of Randall Cunningham on the '98 Vikings. Looks awesome when someone of Randy Moss' talent is on the receiving end of his passes, in addition to covering up for his shortcomings (I swear that half of Cunningham's TD passes to Moss were underthrown balls that Moss outlept the corners for). When Moss/Olbermann is gone, he looks pedestrian.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

I agree with the analogy.......not necessarily with the anchor.......If I had to pick, I would go.......

1. Craig Kilborn
    1A. Keith Olbermann
    2. Dan Patrick
    3. Karl Ravech
    9,210. Linda Cohn

11. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Mayne can be funny occasionally, but most of the time he's just trying WAY too hard. Some of those comedic packages he puts together for SportsCenter [like the Burger King guy last year] run out of gas very fast.

But from what I gather, he likes racing, both the horse and auto kind, so I doubt he was pissed to be there.

12. danhawks

danhawks Member

Mayne has never seemed to me to be a serious journalist. I heard he was working at a call-center when he decided to do a TV tryout as a lark and got lucky. Few years down the road, he's at ESPN. For him, I would bet that doing TV commercials and working for ESPN every couple of weeks is the pinnacle for him. He had a good arm while quarterbacking the ESPN flag-football team, I'll give him that. I'm sure he's happy, let's let him be happy.

Draft saved Draft deleted