1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ken Starr Named Baylor University President

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

They'll be allowed to dance, but no instrumentation at football games will be allowed.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Seems like an intramural thing to me. Do you love Jesus or just good friends, seems to this Tribal Member the former is all that is required.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This is the early leader for Post of the Year.

4. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Love him or hate him, Starr did a tremendous job for the Pepperdine School of Law. He raised the national profile from nothing to bordering on a top 50 US News ranking and their admissions stats (LSAT, etc.) have risen every year.

Leaving those Pacific coast views for Waco has gotta be quite the lifestyle change.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

The differences between CofC and Baptist are fairly minimal ... both are generally conservative, evangelical, believe in adult baptism and share similar roots (CofC split from Baptists with the Stone-Campbell movement in the mid-1800s). The main differences hinge on communion (CofC believes it should be taken weekly, Baptists don't place as big of an emphasis on it) and instrumental music (probably the CofC's most distinctive peculiarity -- they don't believe in instrumental music).

Not a huge deal ... he wouldn't have to "convert" to attend one or the other. They're all still Christian, and still largely evangelical. I've been a member of a Baptist, Christian Church (basically, the CofC with instruments) and non-denominational evangelical church and never really felt like I was making a huge change going from one to the other. You just transfer your membership.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

If the sarcasm font wasn't used, then it's not a sarcasm, dooley. Spnited was dead serious. You don't fuck with the old man when he speaks.

My sister is going to get a good laugh out of this when I tell her. She attended Baylor for 2 years during the Dave Bliss/Patrick Dennehy/Carlton Dotson saga. Plus, my dad's family are life-long residents of Waco.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

CrimsonAce is spot on here with the Baptist/CofC.

Most of my family graduated from Baylor and a large number of the students there are not - necessarily - Baptist. Plenty of non-denominational Christian backgrounds there. Generally speaking, not many differences between Baptist beliefs and most of the "non-denoms" - primarily accepting the Bible as, literally, "The Word of God" and adult (voluntary) baptism.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Nope, you don't "have" to be that faith to work at Baylor. If you're a rank-and-file employee, it sure helps in the interview process however. Former football coach Chuck Reedy was a lifelong Catholic and joined a Baptist church shortly after he started there.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ditto. By all accounts he was well respected as Pepperdine's law school dean. Also, he was heavily involved with the California gay marriage legal battles -- he was agin' it -- and (notwithstanding his position) was a superb advocate.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You never know with some of you people. I don't discount the fact that a lib would believe a private Baptist college couldn't hire a conservative Republican.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You people? Thank you, Ross Perot. :D

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

According to someone who knows these things, absent some unknown personal issue, Starr was a lock to be a nominee for Supreme Court justice or even the Chief in a GOP administration. He had to know that doing the Whitewater investigation would probably ruin his chance. A strange choice, especially as Whitewater was a seemed to be fairly low level when he took the job.

Draft saved Draft deleted