1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kelvin Sampson at it again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

When Art Shell was Raiders coach (both times), you couldn't cheer their few big plays until you checked to make sure there were no penalty flags. It was a matter of always knowing that the good times were going to be overcome by stupidity.

That's what IU basketball is now. Yay, Eric Gordon. Yay, DJ White stayed.

And a few years down the line, any glory they gain on the court may find itself wiped from the record books.

They should never have hired Sampson. The athletic department has been a shambles for a decade now, with no end in sight.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Kelvin also had some malfeasance involving a telephone when he was at Washington State. He's always been just dirty enough to win, just clean enough to avoid real (read: lose your gig) trouble.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

It's obvious Sampson doesn't think this is a big deal, as shown by his long-standing phone rituals at multiple schools.
    The question, then, is how important he thinks these phone calls are. What do you want to bet that he's using a non-traceable cell to text recruits, too.

4. sptwri

sptwri Member

Oh please. That kind of thinking is what got Kelvin off at Oklahoma. And what got Roy Williams off at Kansas when he conveniently forgot who allegedly told him that KU boosters could give gifts to basketball players after their eligibility was up. The only things that get college coaches is a newspaper that bucks the local fans to report the story the way it should be. And this attitude - sorry, not trying to make this personal - is part of what makes that so hard.

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

KSW, did IU officially retract the scholly offer to Bud Mackey?

6. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

as long as he doesn't sink anywhere near the guy that held the newspaper office in Robeson County hostage once.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Well, anyone at IU could have stopped him between 1971 and when he was shown the door, but no one had the balls to do it.

But that's neither here or there, but I ran across this funny bit on Sampson and his love for calling recruits...

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/Dudski/2007/10/16/Kelvin_SampsonPhone_Junkie

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

OK, so he doesn't hold up newspapers and he doesn't have a track record of felonies. Should we crown him now?

(The Denny Green jokes will now commence ... )

9. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

Kelvin Sampson is a smooth talking cheating slime who has done this everywhere he's been.

Bobby Knight is a boisterous, temper-flared asshole who has high graduation rates and a clean bill of health with the NCAA infractions committee.

Who would you rather have coach your team?

10. silentbob

silentbob Member

In my experience, a school imposes penalties to keep the NCAA from coming down hard on the program. This probably isn't over. The NCAA will have its say.

IU fans should be pissed. They just lost a scholarship. That will hurt them over the long run. Plus, this is a third strike for Sampson. First he came in with an NCAA investigation hanging over his head. Then one of his recruits is charged with selling cocaine near a school. Now this. Hard to imagine a worse start for this guy.

He should be fired. This shows a blatant disregard for the rules and proves that everything he said about his problems at OU was complete BS.

Of course, the school will never do fire him because ... IU is a top 10 team this year.

But it doesn't matter. This will catch up with Sampson. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but that program is probation just waiting to happen.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As a parent, I believe I would rather have a coach who called my kid on a day when he wasn't supposed to as opposed to one who might choke, hit or kick him.

But that's just me.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ben Howland.

Draft saved Draft deleted